PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I have a coworker whose father is a clock and watch collector. He invited some of his colleagues (luckily including me) to see what his father has done in 15 years.
According to the collector there are more than 1000 clocks and watches in the collection from all over the world. He said that his father was a watch repairer thus he followed his father's path and started collecting these. He has repaired most of these clocks and watches after finding them, therefore all of the items in the collection work. The guy even built a huge room for the collection and once you enter it feels like stepping into another world. Clock ticks create an amazing harmony and somehow it is very pacifying. Here are the pictures:
XHLCwX2.jpg

StuhX8X.jpg

KBAnxVq.jpg

LBqyQol.jpg

wks0MRD.jpg

DVmRWT1.jpg

PfLWqCb.jpg

2pxWQyj.jpg

ibahAnQ.jpg

A clock made in 1880
EGyrnQV.jpg

Panoramic view of the room
sSaBwSb.jpg

As a Zippo collector I couldn't pass up taking a photo of this small lighter
j1q5iIk.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Amazing. I had a family member who was a watch repairman for the railroad. I have my grandfather's old Waltham pocket watch which is broken. He said that he had the parts and knowledge, but needed my eyes& hands to maker the repair. I never made the time to work with him and her passed away. Opportunity lost.
I could have spent a few hours looking at that collection.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
What an awesome opportunity.
I love seeing a collection like that from someone who truly loves and appreciates these wonderful objects.
I have long had a love affair with old watches and clocks. Consequently, I have acquired several older watches over the years. Almost all of em wind-ups. Even my every day watch, a circa 1960's Rolex Date Just is a very basic wind-up watch. I do have other perpetual watches and only one or two that are battery (both gifts).
I guess it's the appreciation for the fact that these artisans/craftsmen were able to create a complex device, utilizing springs and gears and somehow keep time to within a reasonable acceptable limit.
Thanks for sharing

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
That's pretty awesome!!!
If you have one watch you know what time it is. If you have two or more you never know. (Yes, I butchered the quote)

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
It takes more than one to make a collection, so I don't qualify, but here's my pride and joy.
Completely scratch built from plans, 6 months in the making, but watching it run, it was worth every minute.
QKj711Kaay82cE845sd4F7je9lLC_JFU3jS2UK7o9zff_Wwo_mkzYFCp9kQOQQiYwui_PNTOxs8iKheX6zGVcQn_AKGHHqbcmLcwPeE0NHYnzYY3txhhU1y21Og9KMulafZJ6vjjIyw7PufblHfVFQIYjpTYITKIKrf443raC8-MPWFqHUE111DHTiJzEI3Hx4T8_cFqFwq87-m05giTGLEKIOd3NZ3dXQokfLaGTY0UPNpBujJCpY0g27xk56-XgLihYPxDQzy63SNj-Cu9jwVnzkCyu6mrsBk4EnIVAA-ThpqcJm3rzoWOaoB20a0VhLJgt5xFrVEzV_x4S7HMr2kZfPO1xwSP4e6tLdLz2YswDnOBTIR2GL5HM0c3ym2wfdow8n_LJrbXM-VaKSAQK49CnziHJrsOtM4msIQuQnwS7Z_W70DOTejOs3ewatFhiLUldTgdzS9Zg1221AnltD1pSX061IdJ2KuTMBu8e9o6IaK1T8beERIzuDjzeB-Sn1P-jv_lTifj_mAGCyiQn0JV_cYLRDGXynj_hKacBnufhroyBfbUD65tT-iqm6MiNosmivzuR2i6m4sU9fYIbtrWSgEkYRl4jcTMCy8Ei-wDutOE4ZXb=w1000-h1333-no

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Depending on the movements in them, anywhere from the many thousands to the many tens of thousands :)

If you like clocks, you may be interested in this podcast. https://stownpodcast.org/

The focus of the story is a crazy clock-maker/repairer, who lives just across the woods from me. I never knew him, but I run into many of these eccentric geniuses all over the place here. We listened to the podcast, and then were amazed that this all took place just 15 minutes away. So, the wife and I went out to see the labyrinth he built and the little shittown that we never visited once in all of the years of living here. The podcast definitely doesn't show our part of the world in the best of light, but it is what it is.
Nice clocks. "Every minutes beats you down, but it's the last minute that kills you."

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Thanks JP
If you have a scroll saw, a few months and a complete lack of respect for your own time, you too can make one :rofl:

The whole clock market collapsed about ten years ago, at least in the US. Collectors just stopped. Every town had a horologist to repair these fine machines, and then with the popularity of cell phones, phhhht, killed the whole market. Something about having the time on your microwave, phone, car dashboard, your cable box, and computer just kills the need for buying a dedicated time-telling appliance.

But, they are works of art, IMO, inspiring questions, and ideas.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
A sad world indeed when watches are now out of vogue. I rather like wristwatches. I neither want nor need (or get) my time from kitchen appliances, cellphones or the like, though I do have a pen that not only keeps time but if you press a button, it TELLS it to you (talks) with a very nice voice! Got it from Radio Shack in the '90's.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
According to the collector there are more than 1000 clocks and watches in the collection from all over the world ...

8O -Wow. Just wow. The collection is just astounding! I don't know whether I would have been able to leave that room ...
Thank for sharing this!

Status
Not open for further replies.