Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
The Pipe
Some time back, right around the time that Adam showed us his pipe #9 I contacted him about having a pipe commissioned. Adam and I discussed what I was looking for, a Lovat, and after a few PM's back and forth he ball was rolling. Adam explained to me the challenges of making the Lovat shape by hand with no lathe and I told him I was okay with that if he was...let the challenges begin. This pipe presented Adam with a few issues along the way including a scrapped briar block and a block or two that revealed fatal flaws part way through the carving process which meant starting over again. Somewhere along the way Adam cut his hand quite badly and needed to heal up a bit before continuing on. I was beginning to think this project was jinxed and destined to fail. I was truly waiting for Adam to throw in the towel on this one but he stuck with it and in the end I was presented with a truly stunning pipe...thank you again Adam. :D
When the pipe finally arrived at my door I was like a kid at Christmas and couldn't wait to rip the box open and have a look see. Adam had been in constant communication with me throughout the build and had sent me several pictures along the way as well. The pics where great but did not compare to holding and seeing it's beauty in person. The pics do not begin to show the nice grain of the briar used and the lustrous finish on the pipe.
Going over the pipe thoroughly it was easy to see that Adam took great pride in the work he put into this Lovat. The drilling is spot on and provides a wonderfully smooth and open draw. Fit and finish is right on the money too. The stem work, shape of the button and funneling of the slot are flawless as is the fit of the stem/shank junction. No matter which way I hold this pipe up to the light I cannot see even the slightest crack of light where the two pieces join. Another point that stood out to me is the symmetry of this pipe. It is well proportioned and evenly shaped when viewed from every angle...amazing for being done with only the use of hand tools. Lastly, and this is one of my favourite things about this pipe (weird?) is the lustrous glossy smooth finish. I am stricken by it and can't stop rubbing and caressing the pipe while I'm smoking it. Every time I pick it up I marvel at how smooth and glossy it feels in my hand...very pleasing to me!
The one small flaw that the pipe has is a very small imperfection in the briar on the right side of the pipe near the shank/bowl junction. Adam brought this to my attention when it revealed itself and asked what I would like done about it. I chose to leave it be and accept it as a "character" marking on the pipe. It is only noticeable upon close inspection and doesn't concern me in the least. Overall I am thrilled with this pipe and I'm pretty sure I will be enjoying this pipe for a long time to come.
The Pipe Maker
It should be noted that it was a true pleasure to work with Adam. He took great effort to be sure that I was well informed and kept updated on the progress of the entire build. Communications where plentiful, complete and honest and included several progress pics along the way. I am completely satisfied with every aspect of this transaction with Adam and would not hesitate to recommend him and his work to anyone. If you decide to commission a pipe from Adam I am confident you will not regret the experience. :puffy:
Here is a link to Adams original post showing pics of my lovely Lovat.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/pipe-15-a-lovat

Dec 24, 2012
I missed that thread. Congrats on the lovat. Great looking stem. Really works with that one. Have you smoked it?

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Have you smoked it?
Why yes I have and I suppose that would have been good to mention in my review...rookie mistake. :oops:
I've put about 11-12 bowls through this pipe since it arrived and I'm very pleased with how this pipe smokes. I don't dedicate a pipe to certain blends and this one has smoked a little bit of everything, English, Virginias, VaPers and an Aro or two. It's a good smoker and doesn't require a lot of attention once the tobacco has a good light.

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
As the proud possessor of Adam's #8, I agree - the finish, among other things, on his pipe(s) is spectacular!

Status
Not open for further replies.