Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
Just saw that Tom Magliozzi passed away at age 77 due to complications from Alzheimers. Didn't realize he was that far along in years but I also didn't remember that Car Talk had first been aired in 1977. A 35 year run for a radio show is a heck of an achievement.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Love those guys. When I first heard them, I was totally annoyed. Why are these raucous guys on the radio

laughing like jackasses. But pretty soon, you get the drift. Really bright guys having fun, giving reasoned

advice on cars, but also surveying the human condition on wives, kids, romance, ethics, math, fairness, and

so on. They made us all laugh, for decades, and now we're crying a little with Ray and the family. Great

fellas, great show.

I first heard them when I turned 16 and got into cars, VW bugs. I used to listen to them while I would spend my Sunday mornings adjusting valves, replacing rear seals, tracking down knocks. I've listened to them every Sunday, mostly coming home from Church. I didn't realize that the last two years were reruns. It is similar to losing someone you have known for a long time. He'll be missed, and don't drive like my brother.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
So sad. They gave me a lot of laughs over the years and I listen to the reruns while drinking coffee from my Car Talk mug. They did OK for a couple of MIT grads. RIP Tom.

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
I am truly sad. Listened to the Car Talk guys every chance I could. Informative and entertaining, they remain the best that NPR had to offer.
I am going to have a "smoke in" for Tom tomorrow. RIP.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I loved listening to them while driving in my car on several longish weekend journeys. Their interaction with intellectual car abusers was hilarious. "Our fayah city"

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Started listening to them as a kid, because my Dad listened to them; this was 30 or more years ago. Still listen to the show in syndication. Car Talk and Prairie Home Companion mean a real lot to me. Rest in peace, Tom.

Status
Not open for further replies.