PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

tmgaus51

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
I sent a number of my pipes off to be converted from taper stems to saddle stems, and the results have been great.

It's funny though, especially on the middle pipe, where I asked for the stem to be sanded down as much as possible, the pipe actually feels heavier in its current state. I guess now that I'm able to clench with ease and don't have to think about it, I'm noticing the weight of the pipe more acutely.

Has anyone ever experienced this? I like to think it's all in my head, but who knows: maybe because the bit is so thin, I have to bite down extra hard which is putting undo pressure on my jaw.

Thanks for any responses!
Dave

IMG_20200619_173039.jpg

tmgaus51

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
i have never unbalanced a pipe in that way. better send them off again and to ask stem guy to balance them right.

Actually I have never run into this, I just wanted to freak you out a bit. Carry on.

Lol I'm glad I read the second part. Not sure what you meant by unbalanced ?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

tmgaus51

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
Ok now I want in on the joke. Someone pls explain before I google "unbalanced pipe" for the next 3 hours ?

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS
Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
I do a sort of semi clench,with my free hand taking up part of the weight.Sometimes,I clench all the way,as in my forum image,but that's rare.The larger pipes,I can't clench....
like the old England Upshall I'm smoking now.Just too much pressure on the teeth.

Reactions: BROBS and tmgaus51

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I don't see the issue. Thinner stem will be easier to clinch. You're just not used to it yet.
Actually, no. Not necessarily, anyway.

Most people assume thinner is more comfortable categorically, when the key to comfort is the ratio of button height to bite zone thickness.

If the OP's pipes had their button height reduced too much as part of "saddle conversion," that's the culprit. They'll want to spin/pivot/rotate unless a bit of extra pressure is applied when clenching, and that effort "accumulates" into jaw muscle discomfort after a while.

tmgaus51

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
Actually, no. Not necessarily, anyway.

Most people assume thinner is more comfortable categorically, when the key to comfort is the ratio of button height to bite zone thickness.

If the OP's pipes had their button height reduced too much as part of "saddle conversion," that's the culprit. They'll want to spin/pivot/rotate unless a bit of extra pressure is applied when clenching, and that effort "accumulates" into jaw muscle discomfort after a while.

Thanks for this. The button height was unadjusted as far as I can tell, so not sure what that equates to.

Also, what do you mean by pivot/spin? The stummel?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Thanks for this. The button height was unadjusted as far as I can tell, so not sure what that equates to.

Also, what do you mean by pivot/spin? The stummel?

The bowl moves laterally (side-to-side) with the tooth/stem contact area being the "axle" or pivot point.

People assume buttons are to keep stems from sliding forward, like the barb on a fishing hook (sort of)... But they are more to provide a contact point in addition to the bite zone so that the pipe doesn't keep moving sideways when the smoker turns his head.

The additional bite pressure necessary to keep such spinning from happening when the button is too short is fatiguing.

If your saddle mod didn't involve shortening the button height then that's not the cause of your clenching problem now, however. (I was just making a guess based on your telling the guy to make the new profile as thin as possible... I see a lot of cases where the button was sanded down as part of the package.)