PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
when you use the 'breath method' there's a higher incidence of smoke circulating in the head and lungs - I do it too from time to time. Anyway, I suffer from jaw issues and have terrible neuralgia(called suicide disease) - I used to grind my jaw in my sleep and it causes headaches and chin/neckaches, toothaches - try not to clench for a week or two - if it doesn't work go see a dentist
My wife was recently diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia. They gave her a drug to help, and it has helped, but it's not a drug you can or should be on long term, so it's looking like surgery is inevitable. I pray you find some relief.

Akoni808

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2022
O’ahu, Hawai’i
When you clench, bent pipes are a little easier. I clench straight ones too though. The trick with any of them (not much of a trick) is to let the edge, where the button is, catch on your top tooth, and the bottom surface of the stem to rest on your bottom tooth. In other words, use the pipes own weight to let it rest in your teeth rather than your jaw muscles to hold it.
It’s funny how simple it sounds, but it takes a while to learn for some like myself.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
The thread was opened 2 years ago, and not sure what happened to the OP. He's shown as a lurker. Not sure if he's still around or given up smoking.

Clenching hard or lightly or even just keeping mouth open to hold the stem, will stress the jaw. It's new thing to the muscle group and it will be uncomfortable for a bit until you get used to it.