PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SoliDeoGloria

Lurker
Nov 18, 2020
Bluegrass, KY
Anyone experience this? I'm using a lightweight cob with a rubber tip as I learn to clench and breath smoke, and after 10-15 minutes I notice the tension in my temples to the point of a mild headache coming on. When I take out the pipe and cease clenching, it immediate stops...

Am I doing something wrong or does it just get better after a while with practice?

Anyone experience this? I'm using a lightweight cob with a rubber tip as I learn to clench and breath smoke, and after 10-15 minutes I notice the tension in my temples to the point of a mild headache coming on. When I take out the pipe and cease clenching, it immediate stops...

Am I doing something wrong or does it just get better after a while with practice?
It sounds like your face is telling you it doesn't want to clench. You can either listen to your face or tell it to go f itself. puffy
My advice would be to listen to it.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale

Everyone on here that clenches, like me, have teeth that look like this, until yours look like this too, you'll always have this problem, so just keep doing until they look like this and you'll be perfectly fine.

0436c5a5708a6fc1192b38f6f4ac3257.jpg

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
When you clench, bent pipes are a little easier. I clench straight ones too though. The trick with any of them (not much of a trick) is to let the edge, where the button is, catch on your top tooth, and the bottom surface of the stem to rest on your bottom tooth. In other words, use the pipes own weight to let it rest in your teeth rather than your jaw muscles to hold it.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA

how hard do you clench, do you have dental or jaw issues ?- it's hard for anyone to comment on this - it's very personal - the 'breathing' of smoke could be causing you headaches - as a former inhaler

SoliDeoGloria

Lurker
Nov 18, 2020
Bluegrass, KY
how hard do you clench, do you have dental or jaw issues ?- it's hard for anyone to comment on this - it's very personal - the 'breathing' of smoke could be causing you headaches - as a former inhaler

Not inhaling, using the breath method.

Not clenching hard, just enough to obviously not drop the pipe. No dental/jaw issues I'm aware of!

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Not inhaling, using the breath method.

Not clenching hard, just enough to obviously not drop the pipe. No dental/jaw issues I'm aware of!
when you use the 'breath method' there's a higher incidence of smoke circulating in the head and lungs - I do it too from time to time. Anyway, I suffer from jaw issues and have terrible neuralgia(called suicide disease) - I used to grind my jaw in my sleep and it causes headaches and chin/neckaches, toothaches - try not to clench for a week or two - if it doesn't work go see a dentist

• Sad
Reactions: solideogloria86

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
You are clenching too hard causing unnecessary stress to muscle group or what not. Don't bite the stem. Just let it rest like mentioned. My upper and lower teeth don't line up. I let the button catch on the upper teeth and support it on lower lip. Takes a little getting used to, but it's rather comfy.

Reactions: mau1

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I don't want to alarm you but you could also have something hitting a nerve everytime you lock to clench - meaning - does it happen when you chew food? - if it can be anything from a bad tooth to a tumour

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Yes, I drink a lot too - it's taking a toll on my kidney, pancreas and liver - I feel it - sucks - try and cut down - it will kill us eventually - I 'm thinking about throwin in the towel on that one
I'm not too worried about it to be honest; I come from a long line of bootleggers who 'taste tested' their own stock on a daily basis...most of my ancestors lived into their 80s and 90s. And fortunately, I take cholesterol meds, so my liver gets tested every year and everything's fine so far (knock on wood).

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee