PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

NJJesters10

Lurker
May 5, 2022
New Jersey
I've seen a lot about cleaning briar but not cobs. Mainly "don't run them under water" and "they're disposable".

That being said, I have been running a pipe cleaner through the stem and then wipe out the bowl after each smoke. For those who do a deep clean on their cobs, what process do you follow?

Thanks in advance,
Walter

tklee

Lifer
Dec 31, 2021
Malaysia
I seldom do deep cleaning on my cobs if compared to my briars. I only clean the stem, and use tissue to wipe the chamber, that's all. Coz I found that there are less carbon gather in the cobs chamber if compared to briar.

On my briars, yes. Not very frequent deep cleaning, coz after every smoke, I use pipe cleaner to clean inside the stem, the mortise and the draught hole. And I use wet tissue to wipe inside the chamber clean, so that carbon don't build up fast. If there's carbon, I'll use reamer to ream off the carbon.

indoeuro

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Central Texas
A thorough hot water rinse after the last smoke of the day, making sure to run a pipe cleaner through the stem and around the inside of the bowl to hasten drying. "Deep" clean once a month with liquor and a couple of pipe cleaners.
In both cases, leave the stem off overnight after cleaning so the interior of the shank and the mortise have a chance to dry. This will help extend the life of your cobs and keep them smoking sweetly.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I've seen a lot about cleaning briar but not cobs. Mainly "don't run them under water" and "they're disposable".

That being said, I have been running a pipe cleaner through the stem and then wipe out the bowl after each smoke. For those who do a deep clean on their cobs, what process do you follow?

Thanks in advance,
Walter
wow you need to not listen to closely to those people. A cob is no more disposable then a briar. I've never had to deep clean a cob either though. I do run a pipe cleaner and wipe out the chamber. Though honestly if I get neglectful about it, doesn't seem to get nasty the same way a briar can.
Oh and one of the main reasons a cob is cheaper, is the material is cheaper and easier to come by.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
wow you need to not listen to closely to those people. A cob is no more disposable then a briar. I've never had to deep clean a cob either though. I do run a pipe cleaner and wipe out the chamber. Though honestly if I get neglectful about it, doesn't seem to get nasty the same way a briar can.
Oh and one of the main reasons a cob is cheaper, is the material is cheaper and easier to come by.
Good point. Cob is a wonderful material for smoking. My cobs were the ones in the $30 price range. I don’t treat them any differently than the ones made from wood.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Good point. Cob is a wonderful material for smoking. My cobs were the ones in the $30 price range. I don’t treat them any differently than the ones made from wood.
I like briar better, but my opinion does not change the fact that a cob is a solidly good pipe that is anything but cheap and disposable. In fact every smoker should have at least one.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
oh hey I know what that means. The PA equivalent is I really love/like/other term of endearment but....
But the way I look at it, if it's disposable why keep it.
I’m just kidding, but if I really had to, I could throw away a piece of wood as easily as a corn cob. I’d more likely give it away or stop using. I’ve found this applies to most things in my life.

Carry on friend….?