PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
New guy here. I bought a Barclay Rex basket pipe 20 years ago and smoked it very rarely, and then a savinelli about 6 years ago and smoked it very occasionally and put it aside and didn't touch them for the past 4+ years. Just decided to pick up the hobby again and have learned about the break-in process that I will use with new pipes I buy.
For the older, moderately used pipes, I had cleaned them a number of times using a pipe cleaning solution including in the bowl. The bowls are charred but I don't think there is any cake built up. Should I just start a "break in" process now --basically keep smoking, try to build up some cake, and just clean the stem, or should I essentially go through an entire restoration process with these - start from scratch. I seem to get bitter flavors, especially from the savinelli, but I'm not sure if that is because of what I'm smoking (only aromatics so far) or how I'm smoking or because the pipe itself is somehow "sour".

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Are the stems oxidized? An oxidized stem will give a bitter or sour taste. An oxidized stem will be grey, or gray/brown, and will taste off if you just put it in your mouth without smoking any tobacco. If that is the case, you will need to remove the oxidation from the stem.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Pictures of said pipes?
I have had excellent luck deghosting pipes with a simple method of stuffing the bowl and stem with damp coffee grounds and letting it sit for a few days, then rinsing with water. Its amazing how much the coffee grounds soak up.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I seem to get bitter flavors, especially from the savinelli, but
I'm not sure if that is because of what I'm smoking (only aromatics so far) or how I'm smoking or because the pipe itself is somehow "sour".
Did you clean the mortise and draft hole?
When I do restorations, I return them as closely to new as possible to avoid any off tastes.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
Both pipes do taste a bit off when I put them in my mouth, I definitely get a bitter taste. Here is what I plan to do (based on what I've seen online). Mix a solution of 75% grain alcohol and 25% amaretto or hazlenut liquor. Lightly wipe down the bowl and run a brush and then saturated pipe cleaners through the stem and mouthpiece, followed by a clean pipe cleaner, let dry and repeat once. Then proceed with a normal break in process, which I understand to be smoke a half bowl to the bottom several times, then 3/4 then full, leaving a coating of ash in the bowl and at the bottom to try and build a cake, and just clean the stem with a pipe cleaner as part of regular cleaning. Only smoking aromatics at this point (have a sampler of CAO flavors and a danish blend from Missouri Meerschaum).
Does that make sense. I will post some pictures when I have a chance. Thank you very much!

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
An oxidized stem will give a bitter or sour taste. An oxidized stem will be grey, or gray/brown, and will taste off if you just put it in your mouth without smoking any tobacco. If that is the case, you will need to remove the oxidation from the stem.

- wilson
Oxidation in the stem's air channel is an often overlooked source of off-tastes & malodors.

Scrubbing the air channel with a toothpaste or a baking soda coated wet pipe cleaner can remove the foulness. Flush with cold water (hot water can oxidize a vulcanite stem). Repeat as needed.
I have had to do this with several stenchy estate pipe stems.

Status
Not open for further replies.