PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I picked this one up on eBay cheap. It's fairly sizable with a 3" bowl and 7 inches long. The stem doesn't fit in the mortise and I can't tell if it had a decorative ring on the tenon. I've been able to clean it and remove the stain. I can see why they rusticated it as I found some dark spots but all in all its a decent pipe. The mouthpiece said Hand Cut under all that dirt. Now I have to figure out what to stain it.

Orlik 1.jpeg

Orlik 2.jpeg
Orlik 3.jpeg
6EC0367E-E21E-4DDE-A966-7222311C2D5F.jpeg

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Love orliks. We’re there any marking on the bottom of the shank? Stain wise, I vote for tanshell, unless you are going to experiment with blues/greens again ??

The only marking was Orlik but it's obliterated. I was thinking tan or natural but I'll have to find my phone to show you why,

Reactions: Ahi Ka

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think it would color nicely left natural. It takes some years, but I'd suspect a nice polished walnut color.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Thanks! Learning a lot and have much respect for artisans and people like George who can be so consistent in their matching of finishes. As a near total newbie to restraining pipes, I have a few observations (you pros may now say "Well, duh" but much of this I've known in theory but never actually had practical hands on experience. ):
  • Briar is both a wonderful mistress and a heartless bitch. Undressed it can be even more beautiful than you thought or hiding a hideous flaw. Or both.
  • I have no yet to find a way to perfect stripping a pipe without blowing out the nomenclature.
    • The next pipe gets vaseline put on the nomenclature and then gets carefully sanded down after the rest of the stain is removed.
  • It's strange how two pipes can look similar in tone when stripped but take the stain so differently.
  • Stain, no matter how much you try, makes a mess. Even wearing gloves my hands haven't been this colorful since I wore a smock in 2nd grade and used Tempura paints.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Thanks! Learning a lot and have much respect for artisans and people like George who can be so consistent in their matching of finishes. As a near total newbie to restraining pipes, I have a few observations (you pros may now say "Well, duh" but much of this I've known in theory but never actually had practical hands on experience. ):
  • Briar is both a wonderful mistress and a heartless bitch. Undressed it can be even more beautiful than you thought or hiding a hideous flaw. Or both.
  • I have no yet to find a way to perfect stripping a pipe without blowing out the nomenclature.
    • The next pipe gets vaseline put on the nomenclature and then gets carefully sanded down after the rest of the stain is removed.
  • It's strange how two pipes can look similar in tone when stripped but take the stain so differently.
  • Stain, no matter how much you try, makes a mess. Even wearing gloves my hands haven't been this colorful since I wore a smock in 2nd grade and used Tempura paints.
Dear Sir,Mind my asking, what sort of stripping agent you were using to remove this original stain?,Acetone perhaps?