PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
How do you get the stems so black on these uber-oxidized pipes? I have a friend with a number of solid and interesting English estate pipes that he may want to restore.
I use a lighter and a wet paper towel to remove the oxidation and then thumb buff them with toothpaste to bring them back to a mirror finish.

20180613_180543-1.jpg

Sort of a variation on this technique.

@brian64
I've also never seen a vulcanite army mount on a Punto Oro.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You really bring these Lazarus pipes back to life. That stem would have put me off even at $30. It's hard to believe all that shape and shine are hidden in there under all those tooth marks and oxidation. Great job.
It really helped keep the price down that Punto Oro wasn't included in the listing. A photo of the stamping was my only clue to what it was as the stem photos didn't reveal the brass dot under all of the oxidation. The heat of the flame lifted all of the tooth marks like they were never there. Fixing the scuffed stain on the front of the bowl was fun. I pressed a pinch of Kodiak against the scuff and set the color with a flame.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I use a lighter and a wet paper towel to remove the oxidation and then thumb buff them with toothpaste to bring them back to a mirror finish.

View attachment 177255

@brian64
Was going to ask if you used the flame method, outstanding,

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018

View attachment 177255

@brian64
I’ve had success with removing oxidation but can’t seem to get that shiny black finish - more of a semi-matte black.

How long do you spend on the toothpaste buffing? Stem on or off? Any tips would sure be appreciated!

My efforts usually involve obsidian oil or mineral oil at the end but it never gets that mirror finish!