PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil22

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 19, 2013
I use a product called 5 Star Saniclean to sanitize my mason jars before filling with tobacco for long term storage. It is an acid (mild) that sanitizes quickly, is easy to use, and quicker than any other method I have seen. Mix it with tap water in a bucket or sink, wait one minute, rinse each jar and let air dry on a clean surface. I let them dry on a bottle rack I use in beer making. If one is filling a lot of jars (I often do 48 or more at a time) this method is really reliable and quick.
Some say the jars are clean enough as they come but I like the peace of mind in knowing my jars are free from anything that may ruin my tobacco that will be stored for years.

Aug 1, 2012
USA
Dishwasher works fine
If you don't mind the smell of detergent in your tobacco I agree (probably works well for lakelands :) ). Not trying to be an ass that's what I've experienced.
Edit: The reason I use the product is that I don't want to spend a few hundred $ on tobacco and then have it compromised because I wouldn't spend 25¢ on sanitizer for the jars. It's a bit of cheap peace of mind.

phil22

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 19, 2013
Captain...Star-San is a similar product and, I agree, works wonderfully.
Artdeg...The dishwasher is ok but I can have my jars filled and enjoying a good smoke before the dishwasher cycle is finished. I am simply offering an effective time saver. Cheers

trucha

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 26, 2013
I've put mine in the dishwasher before but they come out with the smell of the old tobac still in them. I cleaned some that had 1Q which I then threw away since they were pungent. The others I washed had english but I wanted to put some vaper in them. The english smell was still there. I ended up using new jars and one old one. I guess I will find out in a few years if the english smell transferred to the vapers

Aug 1, 2012
USA
I've put mine in the dishwasher before but they come out with the smell of the old tobac still in them.
A bit of generic, unscented Oxyclean (or PBW if you have it) will take the smell right out. A soak in 1/2 scoop per 5-gallons of hot water should do the trick, just remember to rinse it thoroughly. EDIT: If you have really hard water it can leave a film.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
The food industry/ Gov requires all utensils to be cleaned in a certain ratio of bleach & water, very low to be sanitized. All smell is gone as well as bad crap.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
If I pick up "used" jars, first they are washed by hand, then in the dishwasher, and finally soaked in bleach water for 1/2 hour. Then they are rack dried for 24 hours. I've never had a smell left in the jars.

drcarlo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
I wash manually or in dishwasher, then soak them in clean water overnight, to disolve soap rests.

You may also use a mix of ethanol and hydrochloric acid, which is a strong cleaning agent for chemical leftovers (read: soaps, oils and staining).

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I wash my jars thoroughly with a mild combination of detergent and hot water then boil in a light bleach and water or about five minutes. Then I let stand in the strainer for at least 12 hours. Once the jars are thoroughly dried I always place a new lid on the jars and fill with my best tobacco blends. I have never had any residue from my previous blends once I use this cleaning method.

Status
Not open for further replies.