PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
Anyone have any experience with the lighter method on a Kaywoodie stem, specifically over the white and black shamrock? Should I just magic erase this section?

also, what is the best way to clean the 4hole stinger without oxidizing it?

thank you!

705B0FB3-4645-463F-B91D-4C4047A1A60A.jpeg

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
Heat can burn oxidation, lift dents, and cause inserted emblems to raise/pop too, also lift stamping. Cover the clover with electrical tape when using fire, had one go off on a KW Silhouette once, maybe some alcohol worked into the gap but it flashed up into nothing like it was celluloid

bayareabriar

May 8, 2019
Heat can burn oxidation, lift dents, and cause inserted emblems to raise/pop too, also lift stamping. Cover the clover with electrical tape when using fire, had one go off on a KW Silhouette once, maybe some alcohol worked into the gap but it flashed up into nothing like it was celluloid
So, just wrap that section around the whole stem one tape width? or cut a small square or circle and cover?

bayareabriar

May 8, 2019
With regard to the stinger, alcohol will dissolve any deposits in the holes. Simichrome to polish it up if you so deaire, but completely wipe it off afterwards. Otherwise, use the methods and materials you're most comfortable using.
Okay. Just used liquid bar keepers friend and a soft brass wire brush. Seemed to do the trick. Now, on to the stem… tomorrow
D1DF9C9D-45F8-4B63-B68E-D11ED5B28632.jpeg

Duck

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2021
Edinburgh
A cheap bar of unscented soap, water, an old toothbrush and a bristled pipe cleaner did this one. Old fashioned soap really does the trick with tar, modern detergents don't do much.
IMG_20211004_213625_3~2.jpg
IMG_20211005_124939_0~2.jpg

Reactions: bayareabriar

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Anyone have any experience with the lighter method on a Kaywoodie stem, specifically over the white and black shamrock? Should I just magic erase this section?

also, what is the best way to clean the 4hole stinger without oxidizing it?

thank you!

View attachment 100946
Howdy, just came across this post tonight. Are you still working on this KW?
Your question about cleaning around the logo caught my eye. I posted a thread a few days ago about FLITZ Polish. I used it to remove oxidation on a KW Stem;
it worked great and cleaned up logo nicely.

bayareabriar

May 8, 2019
Howdy, just came across this post tonight. Are you still working on this KW?
Your question about cleaning around the logo caught my eye. I posted a thread a few days ago about FLITZ Polish. I used it to remove oxidation on a KW Stem;
it worked great and cleaned up logo nicely.
I cleaned it up and the logo came off with the tape; had to glue it back in. It turned out good, but not sure if it’ll stay black till I smoke it some more.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Hmm, ok. Hope the logo stays put. In the future, check out the FLITZ Polish. It takes some elbow grease, but does a great job! It
cleans headlight lens plastic too!

Reactions: jpmcwjr