PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
Six months ago, I realized that I had 16 tins open (bulk purchases excluded) and in progress. I decided that this was too much and that I would not allow myself to open any new tins until I brought this number down. As of a few days ago I had reduced this number to 4 open tins. This allowed me to open 2 new tins as a Christmas treat.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
Nice job! I'm currently of the same mindset. What were the 2 you got to open for Christmas?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I go through these from time to time. I currently have six open. Luckily I smoke enough that I can churn through a tin in no time.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Good work, stanlaurel! I am currently in a "too many open" mode, but hindered at times by forgetfulness, such as taking a trip with insufficient packing! So I had to pick up a tin of Nightcap last week, and I "had" to open a Christmas tin, one called Winter, appropriate as I live in Winters!

jmagen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2016
I'm glad to hear other people get in this situation. I'm a noob in "try it all NOW" mode, but I'm scared to see any waste, so I've made the same decision ab not opening any more until I finish some. It's killin me though bc I ordered a couple tins that I heard alot about, so here I sit, subduing my passions...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think it's good to finish off a tin's worth now and then, to keep the inventory flowing, as moderately as I smoke. Just finished a tin of Russ' Fire Storm, but that was easy. Plan to open a tin of Frog Morton Cellar that's been around probably a little longer than it should have been, given that it's a Lat blend, and Lat fades. I have some condiments to boost it if necessary, that is blending tobacco.

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
I dont smoke as much as id like to, and have a lot of tins that i have opened. I end up jaring them, and getting to them when I can. I do plan on smoking down a few, that have been around for a while, in the new year to make some room. I did open a tin of White Knight for Christmas, which I thought was very tasty.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
I'm also in 'too many open mode,' but I've worked it down to only about 8 open tins, so it's getting better. Ideally I'd like to have 4-6 open at a time.
I finished my 2015 Christmas Cheer on the 24th, so I had to open something good on the 25th. I also found an open tin of Warhorse RR in the cupboard which has been tasting great these last few days.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I have roughly 70 mason jars that I smoke from on a regular basis. Of course some I grab more frequently while others sit for long periods of time. Recently I have been pulling the jars that have 1/2 oz or less in them and have been smoking through those to help make space in the cabinet. Over the last month or so I have emptied out over 12 jars. It's good to "clean house" from time to time.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I too am one of those smokers that has way too many tins open at once, largely because when I buy a new to me blend I have to try it immediately!
I reckon as of now I have circa 25 open tins though as I slowly work my way through them that is reduced as not all tins will be replaced. Any blend I particularly like I keep in bail top jars.
On the bright side, I have no drying out issues as I use member John's method of popping in a wetted piece of terracotta when about half way through the tin :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I probably have two dozen open tins, maybe more, I don't count them. An open tin is an invitation to enjoyment!
_MG_9839_edit-vi.jpg

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The number of tobaccos from which we alternately smoke is, of course, only a matter of preference, and only if we confess to a large number on a pipe board, no one else will likely know. Where does it say that that keeping that number low is better than allowing it to go high? It seems disciplined to keep them low, but how does a number of tobaccos open make us any better of a pipe smoker? One could argue that repeatedly smoking a certain blend allows a fuller acquaintance, and that many open blends effects the reverse, but who is to say that one who skims cannot ably taste and enjoy his tobaccos in such manner?
I've since stopped, but for a long time if a tobacco didn't appeal, it got put in a jar and put away. When I "quit" smoking in 2012, I had 50 such jars. That I wouldn't recommend.
I typically have 15-20 tobaccos open.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I'm in the process of a similar thinning-out; if all goes as planned, I'm moving this summer. :D
When I open a tin, it goes into a jar. At last count, I had 37 little jars and five open tubs! :oops:
EDIT: This count does not reflect the big jars of bulk in the "cellar."

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I'm saying that we only know what we know, and as this is singular perception, we often fail to distinguish what we think and what we have thought as verified by others who have thought the same. If we then read that a few tins open is better than many and this strikes us as true, we often project that standard on others as also true for them.
Maybe, but maybe not. The boards are full of opinions, and I know this to be true as I've posted many of them. But opinion is hardly fact, and I argue for facts as they are proved by my smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.