PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

James8855

Might Stick Around
Sep 23, 2019
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title - Bob

How come you can’t use alcohol to clean the briar pipe bowl?

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
The reason why you may have heard against using alcohol inside the bowl is likely because it will remove cake. I think most advise to just swab it with a dry pipe cleaner. If your pipe already has a good cake, I see no harm in it but someone more experienced can correct me there.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The reason to avoid alcohol is that it removes material in the briar that help make it so fire resistant. (and many think it's better to drink it!) However, that's a slow process, and obviated by having a sturdy layer of cake.

A hot water flush is in my book way superior to the hoary old method of alcohol cleansing.

Rebub24

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2019
For cleaning my pipe before packing it, I will run a bristled pipe cleaner down through the button of the stem down to the chamber. Pull the bristled cleaner out, reverse it and run it down through the stem again. I will then fold it in half and run it around the chamber. I will then do the same process with a regular pipe cleaner. I find that doing this before packing a pipe, it will keep the pipe clean and the cake won't build up too much. After smoking I will let the pipe rest to completely dry.

Reactions: dcon

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Most soaps are actually detergents and leave some residue. Mark me down as skeptical. My meers
are not that old but, I have kept to dry cleaning only.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Most soaps are actually detergents and leave some residue. Mark me down as skeptical. My meers
are not that old but, I have kept to dry cleaning only.
Yeah, I was afraid of that. Even with my dishes I've found the soap I use (Sunlight) can be quite concentrated and leave a residual smell (and possibly taste :eek:) on kitchenware. I have to rinse real good.

Status
Not open for further replies.