9 Fresh Winslow Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I'm intrigued by older pipes, especially antique meerschaum pipes that have been pre-colored.

I finally found one in my price range since I am prone to breaking things at times - I'm the reason we can't have nice things (and true to form, I snapped the stem while cleaning it, so some company will have a new customer shortly).

With a com taking care of the stem and cleaning, I'm curious if there is a way (or business) to clean the case.

Any thoughts on what type of stem replacement would be best and on cleaning the case?

20230101_154320.jpg

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
That's a lovely, well-colored pipe! I hope that it proves to be a good smoker and companion to you.

Regarding the case, I would use saddle soap, warm water, and a wash cloth to gently clean (what I assume is) the leather exterior. Once dry. you might apply some neatsfoot oil to condition the leather, as I suspect it is probably dried out.

For the case's interior, I would use multiple light applications of a gentle detergent (think Woolite or Ivory Snow) solution. Avoid saturating the fabric in order to prevent breaking down the glue that holds it it place.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Nice pipe!
I'm interested in the same thing. Just purchased a pipe from 1899 with a case and I was wondering what, if anything I could, or should do to it. I'm pretty sure I could restore the case with a new liner, but Idk if thats kosher or considered bad form, or if I should even mess with it at all.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Nice pipe!
I'm interested in the same thing. Just purchased a pipe from 1899 with a case and I was wondering what, if anything I could, or should do to it. I'm pretty sure I could restore the case with a new liner, but Idk if thats kosher or considered bad form, or if I should even mess with it at all.
Pics? What kind of shape is the case in?

Reactions: monty55

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Nice pipe!
Authenticity or functionality ?
If the former, then as little as possible, apart from a minimal "cleanup"
If the latter, then whatever it takes to get it to a usable, non-tatty state. But this will impact its resale value, if that is a concern.

Speaking for myself, I prefer functionality over authenticity
My pipes are bought to be used rather than to be admired as an antique 😁

Reactions: UB 40 and monty55

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Pics? What kind of shape is the case in?
I just bought it yesterday. Should be in my hands in a week.
Not terrible condition, but I they only had a photo from one side of the outside, so not sure what the other side looks like. There was nothing mentioned about the case other than the darkening, which I can take care of. The inside isn't too bad. I think I could clean it up pretty well. Not sure what the part underneath the pipe looks like though.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Authenticity or functionality ?
If the former, then as little as possible, apart from a minimal "cleanup"
If the latter, then whatever it takes to get it to a usable, non-tatty state. But this will impact its resale value, if that is a concern.

Speaking for myself, I prefer functionality over authenticity
My pipes are bought to be used rather than to be admired as an antique 😁
I understand your point. I'm not sure the answer. I'd like both! lol
I think I can get this in pretty good shape without taking away from the authenticity.
I'm going to completely restore the pipe puffy

Reactions: trudger and kcghost