PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
If that's the case, I'm definitely sharing their value with Workman and you, sir.
To be Frank, what I got out of all this is the idea that this pipe just is naturally extremely heavy.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
I have a surly butcher, but you're on. I'll weigh bowl alone. Are we betting diamonds, gold, or jewels?

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
Oh, bravo. Just a bravura performance. Snagstangl, so far you win. I like you better than metal head. You condensed more goofiness into that post than most would ever attempt. The very first post in the thread said it was a 1970’s era pipe, suggesting date wasn’t an issue. Of course, that’s if you didn’t read the thread title referencing the actual problem.Then a picture is posted (twice, one for each eyeball) showing the band to be stamped “sterling silver.” Meaning, of course, that it wouldn’t have false hallmarks. It’s stamped I for 1976.
Now, all that’s left is to consult the scholarly work On Relative Weights, or A Companion Guide to the Relative Weights of Meerschaum Pipes Produced On or About 3 May, 1976. If you don’t have a copy, one can be summoned by simultaneously smacking your forehead and rotating, repeating three times the magic formula , “Amibeanhelpfool.” The answer is on page 23.
Thank you.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
Surly butcher was helpful. 79 grams or 2.79 oz, bowl only.
I think I'm gonna bake this puppy when my wife isnt looking.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
Lol. As I said, if I find jewels or gold, definitely sharing. You fellows are good eggs.

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
I'll bet that if yow sawed it in half, the inside would be perfectly white, nothing absorbed at all,

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
It's been smoked very heavy. Meer is relatively porous. It stands to reason then it absorbed a lot tar and whatever other junk comes out burning tobacco. So it stands to reason that could add a fair amount of weight. Double? That doesn't seem likely. But either it was very heavy to begin with or absorbing all the "stuff" added to the weight. What other logical answer could there be? I'd question boiling it would do much unless you boiled it for quite some time. But what do you have to lose at this point? I would guess there's a reasonable chance boiling it very long would cause it to crack. Depends on what expands more, the Meer or the stuff impregnating it.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Yes, heavily-smoked meers can get heavy. I have a few antique meers which are very high-quality and are terribly heavy.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'll bet that if yow sawed it in half, the inside would be perfectly white, nothing absorbed at all,
I'd take that bet, 3:1 for a hundred. (How can the stummel get colored when the color comes from the interior?)
HD- Update?? Didja boil it? Seems like the best bet if other tries have fallen short.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
Interesting situation. My worthless 2 cents is, I would use the oven. I would Google search for a melting point of pipe goo, better specify tobacco pipe. Start at 100° and slowly work up the that temp. Have it upsidedown in the oven so the goo will slowly liquefy and gravity takes it from there. I would also slowly cool the pipe down. I have a few meers but no issue like this. Hope it works out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.