PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabblerouser

Lurker
Sep 27, 2011
I've just gotten back into pipe smoking after a few months' break, and it was alright, but it made me wonder why I'd been so keen on it in the first place. Then I had that eureka moment: my pipe needed a thorough cleaning (duh!). That really made a world of difference. I'm really enjoying it now that all that gunk is gone. And damn those Mickey Mouse paper matches you get for free at any gas station! I'm going to buy a few big old boxes of real wooden lucifers!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome aboard Rabblerouser, we're glad to have you.

What an amazing difference a freshly cleaned pipe can make on your pipe smoking experience.

You didn't mention what you were smoking...

We'd love to hear about it.

As for wooden matches... they definitely taste better and are easier to use than those "damn those Mickey Mouse paper matches". :D
:puffy:

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
I always run a bristle cleaner and a fluffy cleaner through my pipe after a smoke. I smoke 2 pipes all day long, and doing this I always have great smokes!
Welcome and enjoy the forum, it's a great place.

rabblerouser

Lurker
Sep 27, 2011
You didn't mention what you were smoking...
My new favorite, Samuel Gawith's 1792 Flake. I'm new to flake tobaccos - a bit of a pain to have to dry them out a bit and keep relighting, but it's worth it to me. Any thoughts as to what else I might do?
And, thanks, I look forward to reading/posting here!

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
Welcome to the forum!

While I have no experience with flake, and couldn't advise you on it, I certainly love the Gawith pure Turkish, and I'm sure his other bacci's are of comparable quality.

And, yes, a clean pipe makes a world of difference!

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Rabble what method are you using to prepare your flakes now, rubbing out, folding and stuffing, cube cutting? They can all make a difference in how the flake burns.

rabblerouser

Lurker
Sep 27, 2011
Rabble what method are you using to prepare your flakes now, rubbing out, folding and stuffing, cube cutting? They can all make a difference in how the flake burns.
So far, I've only tried folding it three times and then rubbing it out in my hands. I let it sit for 15-30 minutes, and then pack it in the pipe (bigger pieces first, the smallest ones on top). What would you do?

patiobum

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
Welcome !!
Flake tobaccy - what I have found - my opinion
Fold and stuff - fold over, z fold whatever - not all of the flake would burn, took a while to dry out

Cut with scissors into cube pieces - ok but just ok

Shread with electric coffee grinder - works well, easy on the shread though or you get baccy powder

Rubbed out between hand palms - Long shreads, easy to break apart

Pull apart to shread - rip and tear process - settled on this method, works for me

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Welcome to the forums and congratulaitons on the eureka moment.
I noticed that as well with my Brindisi 605 that I've had for five or so years now. Last weekend I took my pipe tool with a sharper edge and carefully reamed back some of the excessive cake build up. Then I did a stem treatment to remove the oxidation which included an alocohol soaking after the oxyclean bath and it smokes like a dream now.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Pipes are a lot like guns. They both involve tubes, combustion and smoke. You've got to clean them everytime you use them. I wouldn't think of putting a revolver away after a day at the range, without a thorough disassembly and cleaning. Same with pipes. Maintenance prolongs the working life of pipes, guns, cars, and, with regards to basic hygiene, people too.

Status
Not open for further replies.