1daniel

Lurker
Nov 30, 2011
finally got good quality tobacco.

Now I got to clean my pipes, have you clean the old crappie stuff

out of the bowl???
now have eight ounces of the Doublegate tobacco,

as good taste and burns good.

It is a fine ribbon cut, not real sure how to pack it.

Let me know what you think.

Thank you Dan
Edit: Moved to PIPE REPAIR AND MAINTENANCE. Lawrence

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
http://pipesmagazine.com/python/pipe-talk/routine-tobacco-pipe-cleaning-with-videos/
I think there is also an alcohol/salt soak way of doing it also? I have never had to try it, yet.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
Unless you notice a strong aftertaste from the pipe, usually referred to as "ghosting", you shouldn't have to do anything beyond normal cleaning. There may be a slight carryover, but that should go away after a few bowls.

jay1

Lurker
Dec 19, 2011
Daniel, If I was to change the type of tobacco that was being smoked in this pipe I would ream it as close to bare wood as you are comfortable with, do a salt/alcohol cleaning, let it dry for 48 + hours and smoke it like you would a new briar, starting with smaller bowls and working on up depending on how much cake was initially removed. Some smokers like to smoke through the ghost of the old tobacco, I prefer to start out as clean as possible to enjoy the new tobacco. Just my thoughts. Oh, and don't forget to thoroughly clean out the stem as well.
Jay

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Unless you notice a strong aftertaste from the pipe, usually referred to as "ghosting", you shouldn't have to do anything beyond normal cleaning. There may be a slight carryover, but that should go away after a few bowls.
+1 Clean it well, and smoke away. If you are still getting "ghosting" after a good number of bowls, then you might need to consider stronger measures.

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
I'd try running a few pipe cleaners through it and then smoking a couple bowls of something like CH, SWR, or PA through it. If it works, that's the simpler way. Sometimes you can get away with this method of 'neutralizing any ghosts of off flavor from the pipe.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
My 2 cents

To my mind the majority of "ghosting" comes more from within the shank than the bowl.

Taking an old estate down to bare wood is not bad in and of itself, simply not really needed if the cake is solid at all.

Ream the bowl as required to even up any existing cake but initially focus your cleaning on the stem and the shank. My experience with estates has been that if I get the mortise and airway in the shank really clean with brush and pipe cleaner there is rarely any left over taste of previous tobaccos.
I prefer to leave the bare wood reaming and alcohol soaks as a last resort.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
My 2 cents

To my mind the majority of "ghosting" comes more from within the shank than the bowl.

Taking an old estate down to bare wood is not bad in and of itself, simply not really needed if the cake is solid at all.

Ream the bowl as required to even up any existing cake but initially focus your cleaning on the stem and the shank. My experience with estates has been that if I get the mortise and airway in the shank really clean with brush and pipe cleaner there is rarely any left over taste of previous tobaccos.
I prefer to leave the bare wood reaming and alcohol soaks as a last resort.
What he said!

Status
Not open for further replies.