PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacecowboy57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2010
Alright, so i just bought a $4 clay tavern pipe from a pawnshop and want to share my evperience. As simple (and generic) as this design is, i happen to like the way it looks. it's about 8 inches long with a nice slender stem so the smoke was quite cool but still tasty. I am going to recommend getting one of these as a cheap alternative to a churchwarden. I should also mention that it is very low maintainance, all it takes is a blast of sink water to clean and you have no "ghosting" of any residual flavors. overall i still prefer the classy feel of a good briar, but i will definitely continue to use this quite often. could use a bigger bowl though.
cheap, generic clay pipe:

-nice cool smokes

-cheap

-low maintainance
what do y'all think about these?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the post! I've had a clay for over 40 yrs., and I enjoy it from time to time with Cavendish tobaccos.

I don't use it all the time because the bowl gets too hot to hold, and gripping by the stem is kind of a pain.

I use alcohol as a cleaning solvent for tar and nicotine; but I suppose a blast of water after every smoke would

clear the bowl too!

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
I have yet to try a clay. Some friends highly recommend them for flake tobaccos.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I've thought about getting one, but at the B&M that actually carries them, their asking $30. Not cheap at all... For about the same price I can get a briar churchwarden from Iwan Ries. I'll probably end up buying one online though.
-Jason

puffpuff

Lurker
Mar 19, 2010
You can pick up some nice ones here:

http://sharrowmills.com/

under smoking accessories.

They even have clay churchwardens.
I'm planning on getting one, the next time I place a snuff order. I stocked up (on snuff) before PACT, so I won't likely try one myself until closer to the end of the year.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I enjoy my clays a lot. As for cleaning them I do as was done in ages past. Tuck them in the campfire and burn out all the crud. Nice fresh clean pipe! There was a company in Germany selling clays on ebay at a very reasonable price. I haven't seen them lately though.

spacecowboy57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2010
I have seen a really nice clay churchwarden for 30 bucks but could definitely find a better use of that cash. My clay is a real bare bones pipe, rough finish, no tip, nothing special. I like it just based on its functionality and that it's shaped different so it looks noce on my rack next to my briars.

abecox

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2010
I got a clay tavern pipe on a whim from Pipesandcigars earlier this summer. I'd say that I'm mostly pleased with it, besides the caveat that the bowl gets rather hot indeed.

spacecowboy57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2010
Mine seems pretty sturdy, but i wouldn't go carrying it all over the place unless i had a hard container to keep it in. Also, they are way cheaper than meers, I don't think i will ever use a meer if got one...too paranoid.
And yeah, the bowl is noticeably hotter, I tend to hold it mostly by the stem and little nubby part at the base of the bowl (most traditional clay tavern pipes have this).
Definitely glad i bought it, I was thinking about buying more and painting them so I can add an interesting bit of character to my collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.