PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Now that it is single digits in Chicagoland, should I avoid my clay pipes until it is warmer? Any danger of them cracking?
If I carried it indoors at my next pipe club meeting, should it be OK if I waited 30 minutes for it to warm up?

Jan 8, 2013
I have to imagine that in 1777 while encamped at Valley Forge in terrible cold, many of George Washington's soldiers enjoyed a pipe or two to help ease what had to be great discomfort. But that is just a guess as I have no experience with my clay in extreme cold or extreme fluctuations of temperature. My clay stays inside, nice and cozy.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Well, I was about to post some bullshit about the wide gradient of quality of clay pipes ... probably inapplicable. I can't imagine any smokable pipe cracking apart after warming up for a few minutes, unless was really cheap and/or damaged already.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The only thing I wouldn't do is light up a clay or meer that was very cold, as in being outdoors for a few hours then lighting a pipe that's been in an outer pocket. Going inside and hand warming it for five or ten minutes should do the trick.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I load mine up inside when warm and smoke it outside in -30. So long as it doesn't get overly cold I'll relight it after it's been sitting in my truck for a bit with no issues.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
How do you get past that weird taste/feeling of clay pipes? I've got one and never smoke it.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I've never seriously considered buying a clay, though the idea of having a neutral tobacco tester pipe is attractive. I don't care for the look of many meers either. The closest I've come is a Meer-lined briar.

Status
Not open for further replies.