Clay Pipe with Yellow Plastic Stem: Removable?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I recently bought an Old German Clay billiard with a plastic stem and aluminum sleeve. I can’t find anything online as to whether this stem should be removable. Very frustrating since the pipe is delicate. It wasn’t expensive, but I don’t want to waste money on a broken pipe. Any info on this would be appreciated. Thanks!
P.S. The recommended cleaning regimen for clays is to toss it in the fireplace. Is this just a throw away pipe?

Reactions: 5star and seanv

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
That looks like the same model as Hoosier's clay pipe except his is black clay. Perhaps he will weigh in with some useful information for you.

Hoosier seems to think that the stem is not removable.

Last edited:

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I have a similar pipe. My stem is not removable. Due to the aluminum I wouldn't recommend putting in a fire to clean. I just use pipe cleaners. I would use a pipe cleaner dipped in alcohol if needed.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I'd be curious to hear your thoughts after a few bowls. I purchased a Markus Fohr clay tavern pipe and have been enjoying it.
I’ve only smoked it three times. Smokes well if you sip. Smokes hot in any event. Clean flavor that is true to the blend. I like it, but the cleaning issue gives me pause.
Is Everclear OK in a clay?

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
I’ve only smoked it three times. Smokes well if you sip. Smokes hot in any event. Clean flavor that is true to the blend. I like it, but the cleaning issue gives me pause.
Not sure on the Everclear as I've never tried it. Mine passes a pipe cleaner so I've been doing basic cleaning with that. I figure if it gets too dirty I'll chuck it in the wood stove for a bit.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I think it would be fine. Its not like you're soaking it. Just use a bit on a pipe cleaner

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Just rinse it in hot water and let it dry for a day. Get over this fixation some seem to have with over cleaning their pipes. I bet you'd be amazed how minimally I clean my pipes and how pure they smoke. To be fair, I smoke almost all straight Virginia blends, I smoke my tobacco drier than most and I bet shower than most. That means I have less moisture and a better burn which means less residue to clean.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Just rinse it in hot water and let it dry for a day. Get over this fixation some seem to have with over cleaning their pipes. I bet you'd be amazed how minimally I clean my pipes and how pure they smoke. To be fair, I smoke almost all straight Virginia blends, I smoke my tobacco drier than most and I bet shower than most. That means I have less moisture and a better burn which means less residue to clean.
Thanks. I wasn’t sure if you could subject a clay pipe to water. It does take a pipe cleaner, so that’s what I’ll do.

Reactions: Briar Tuck
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Thanks. I wasn’t sure if you could subject a clay pipe to water. It does take a pipe cleaner, so that’s what I’ll do.
I’m not the biggest fan of the water flush, as some finishes on briar pipes can be affected by water (unfortunate firsthand experience with a newer Savinelli pipe), but, a fired clay pipe is essentially uncoated ceramic—not all that different than a dinner plate—I doubt water would be a problem.

Reactions: edger