PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Rigidman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2020
Richmond VA. Vicinity.
The price for cobs and clay pipes are such that you can use them when working or whatever and if they happen to get damaged, oh well. But I was wondering about the pros and cons are of each?

Now I know a clay pipe isn't a briar, they get hot, and not sure if you should let a cake build up or treat it like a meer. Then there are the plethora of other clay types like Germans and then there are ceramics. Saw a ceramic I really liked. Had a clipper ship painted on it. I love those old sailing ships.

Not sure if this is the place but I keep bulk tobacco in zip locks. Is that ok? I just bought a bunch if those pods to keep the tobacco moist. Some are still in the tins. Figured I'd just throw in a pod. I bought a cigar box to keep either my pipes in or the tobacco. I know cigar and pipe tobacco are kept at different humidity levels.

I also keep some tobacco in the pouches they came in, they will get a pod as well. I have a handful of Decatur roll up pouches and a really nice faux snakeskin pouch. I keep tobacco in them as well and eventually a pod.

Am I doing anything wrong, or is it ok? I should mention at most they're all about an oz or 2. When I find some tobacco I like, then I'll buy in larger quantities. When I do, can I just keep it in the tin or can? Or will I need to invest in better storage solutions?

Thanks. Can't wait for to here your advice.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Clay pipes are relatively inexpensive. They do get hot. They will absorb moisture, so they are good for smoking a little moister tobacco, and getting a little more flavor. I usually wipe the bowl with a paper towel after it cools down. They are somewhat delicate.

Porcelain pipes basically the same as clay, however they don’t absorb moisture because they are glazed. While I have one, I have never smoked it, so I can’t offer any practical advice.

One of the advantages of the above is that you get a truer tobacco flavor; briar imparts a certain subtle muting of flavors or adds it’s own subtle flavor.

Ziplock bags are a very temporary method to keep tobacco moist. Moisture can penetrate through the plastic over time. We’re talking weeks or months. It’s not necessary to add humidification. Tobacco usually comes with a sufficient amount of humidity. Generally, 18% is the nominal amount of moisture. Any more and mold problems can occur.

Long term storage requires a better solution. Mason jars come in all sizes, and provide the ideal solution. It’s generally better to seal up 2-4 oz quantities, so that when you open up a jar you’re not disturbing a large quantity of aging tobacco. And Mason jars can be found at just about any retail store.

Rigidman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2020
Richmond VA. Vicinity.
Clay pipes are relatively inexpensive. They do get hot. They will absorb moisture, so they are good for smoking a little moister tobacco, and getting a little more flavor. I usually wipe the bowl with a paper towel after it cools down. They are somewhat delicate.

Porcelain pipes basically the same as clay, however they don’t absorb moisture because they are glazed. While I have one, I have never smoked it, so I can’t offer any practical advice.

One of the advantages of the above is that you get a truer tobacco flavor; briar imparts a certain subtle muting of flavors or adds it’s own subtle flavor.

Ziplock bags are a very temporary method to keep tobacco moist. Moisture can penetrate through the plastic over time. We’re talking weeks or months. It’s not necessary to add humidification. Tobacco usually comes with a sufficient amount of humidity. Generally, 18% is the nominal amount of moisture. Any more and mold problems can occur.

Long term storage requires a better solution. Mason jars come in all sizes, and provide the ideal solution. It’s generally better to seal up 2-4 oz quantities, so that when you open up a jar you’re not disturbing a large quantity of aging tobacco. And Mason jars can be found at just about any retail store.

Thanks for the info. I might look into some clay pipes. I have a couple cobs. Most the tobacco in the zip locks doesn't stay there very long.

Been considering mason jars. There's an old post on here about them I priced them at local stores and Amazon.

Been looking at some tobacco jars but can't justify paying that much. Looked into vintage too, they're a little cheaper. I also considered some plastic food storage containers.

If I did get a jar it would have to be something I would like looking at. Iwan Ries sells jars for $2 if you buy some bulk tobacco from them.

Thanks again for the info.