PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Before we begin, I am fully aware this isn't the right crowd to ask this question, but I'm hoping there is someone out there that might be able to point me in the right direction.

So I have been gifted a SNES with a pile of games from my in-laws. There is a huge nostalgic factor here with my wife. The problem is, it doesn't work. No video, no audio.

I've replaced the cord and nothing. I've cleaned the connectors with deoxit and nothing.

I'd love to get it working and my kids and wife are eager to play with it as well. Does anyone have experience with these? Ebay replacements are very expensive, so I'm hoping for a fix, not a replace.

• Love
Reactions: lightmybriar
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Before we begin, I am fully aware this isn't the right crowd to ask this question, but I'm hoping there is someone out there that might be able to point me in the right direction.

So I have been gifted a SNES with a pile of games from my in-laws. There is a huge nostalgic factor here with my wife. The problem is, it doesn't work. No video, no audio.

I've replaced the cord and nothing. I've cleaned the connectors with deoxit and nothing.

I'd love to get it working and my kids and wife are eager to play with it as well. Does anyone have experience with these? Ebay replacements are very expensive, so I'm hoping for a fix, not a replace.
There are a few places that refurbish and sell refurbished consoles but the names escape me.

Additionally, the same shops sell one console that has the ability to play original games from a variety of systems, like NES, SNES, and Genesis.

If I recall, the price points were around $100ish.

Also, Tecmo Super Bowl and Mario Kart rule.

As you were.

Reactions: BROBS

Simplicity

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 20, 2020
Michigan
Assuming you are getting the red power light, check that the reset button is not stuck. If not, try inserting/ejecting a game a bunch of times (like 30). Can try this with a couple of games. Hopefully this will get the console to load/boot.

BlackSwampPiper

Might Stick Around
May 9, 2021
Ohio
There are a few places that refurbish and sell refurbished consoles but the names escape me.

Additionally, the same shops sell one console that has the ability to play original games from a variety of systems, like NES, SNES, and Genesis.

If I recall, the price points were around $100ish.

Also, Tecmo Super Bowl and Mario Kart rule.

As you were.
1) Those systems are awesome

2) Does your ordnung know you have dabbled with the electricity? ?

Mar 1, 2014

As much as I love original hardware, I hate to say it but now that you have the cartridges in hand it is "legal" for you to use Emulation.
Most people who have a SNES never plug it in.
You can emulate SNES games on a toaster with todays computers.

There are people who repair consoles for a living but even if you do end up sending the SNES out for repair, there's nothing stopping you from playing the games right now.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Sorry I can't help you but that is one cool console. I spent so much time on my SNES back in the day. The original Mario Kart & Street Fighter 2 were awesome.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Ok you obviously never owned one before to know the secret! Man I thought this was common knowledge. So much so that all my friends joke about it now. Only YOU can fix your own Nintendo. No body else. And you have to open the cartridge doors, and give it a good blow before putting the game in. Wam bam Nintendo time

Try it and report back! You will be amazed!

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Ok you obviously never owned one before to know the secret! Man I thought this was common knowledge. So much so that all my friends joke about it now. Only YOU can fix your own Nintendo. No body else. And you have to open the cartridge doors, and give it a good blow before putting the game in. Wam bam Nintendo time

That'll work. We used to blow on the games, Q-tips and alcohol...you name it, we did it.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Assuming you are getting the red power light, check that the reset button is not stuck. If not, try inserting/ejecting a game a bunch of times (like 30). Can try this with a couple of games. Hopefully this will get the console to load/boot.
I cleaned out the reset button with no change

There are people who repair consoles for a living but even if you do end up sending the SNES out for repair, there's nothing stopping you from playing the games right now
Except that I don't have an emulator of access to get one. I'd just like to fix the console as-is, as much for the tactile feel of the controllers than anything else.

You are describing getting a NES working, not an SNES.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
That'll work. We used to blow on the games, Q-tips and alcohol...you name it, we did it.
don't do these tricks. They don't actually work. What works is taking the cart out and putting it back in. Alcohol and blowing on the cart actually make the issue worse and can corrode the connectors.
But there should be someone local that can do repairs for you google it.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
don't do these tricks. They don't actually work. What works is taking the cart out and putting it back in. Alcohol and blowing on the cart actually make the issue worse and can corrode the connectors.
But there should be someone local that can do repairs for you google it.
Back in the 90's everybody did it. My kids, their cousins, their friends it's just what they did. Nobody around to fix them, not like today.

Aug 1, 2012
Either way, if you give up on it (and I wouldn't) let me know and I'll let you know which cartridges you have that are actually worth any money.

Can't help you otherwise but I hope you get it working. It's a blast for the family.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Back in the 90's everybody did it. My kids, their cousins, their friends it's just what they did. Nobody around to fix them, not like today.
I remember doing that. And then finding out that taking the cart out and putting it back in worked better and had the advantage of not making it worse. Basically it was way more shocking then realizing then Santa wasn't real.
And by the way playing old games is always interesting. I always have one of two experiences. Either thinking wow this game is awesome and holds up even if it's got some massive limitations, or going wow we were so easily impressed back in the day and not feeling so much like I can make fun of kids for being able to spend hours playing with these.

Reactions: BROBS and scloyd
Mar 1, 2014
Except that I don't have an emulator of access to get one. I'd just like to fix the console as-is, as much for the tactile feel of the controllers than anything else.
Any ARM chip with a display out will do it, anything that can run a web browser can run a SNES emulator.
Wanting to have functional original hardware is all fine and dandy, but if you have the games in hand there is no reason to let a defective console stop you from playing them.

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
Can't help with you problem, but that's a cool console. I remember hours of playing Street Fighter 2, Mario Kart and Star Fox at my mates. I had a Sega Megadrive (Genesis) for those outside the UK, and although I had Street Fighter 2, with only 3 buttons you had to hit the select button to switch between punch and kick. HADOUKEN!!

I did later have an N64, and Goldeneye was an absolute classic.