PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Spinkle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Happy (Canadian) Thanksgiving to all of my friends here at pipesmagazine.com. It’s the long weekend up here and as such I have a bit of extra time to tackle some reviewing that I’ve been meaning to punch out for a while. The wife and son are already out cold from the turkey so now’s the time; I felt it was also particularly apropos as I just finished one of the most enjoyable bowls I’ve had in recent memory – Club Blend served as my “desert” after a nice big meal earlier and really hit the spot.

The purpose here is that I wanted to share and encourage others to dip their toes in the classic Mac Baren line as I feel it gets overlooked, despite having several classics that can hold their own against other more “premium” lines.

Speaking of premium lines, it’s no secret that the Mac Baren HH line contains masterpieces of blending such as Old Dark Fired, Acadian Perique, Burley Flake and more. Per Jensen has proven himself to be a genius once again recently with the release of Rustica (I’ve not actually tried it but many members whose opinions I hold in high regard have given us a lot of rave reviews). The theme of the HH line is to present the tobaccos in their most natural state, without casings or toppings, which as most of you know is almost the polar opposite to the classic Mac Baren line which tends to embrace casing and topping without shame. After a couple of years in this hobby I feel like there is a clear demarcation between the HH line and the normal line, not just in marketing but in review results as well.

Now that I’ve been doing this for a few years as I say, I think I’m in a much better position to provide my feedback on the classic Mac Baren tobaccos. Not only have I had the opportunity to sample a great deal of them, I feel like I am at the point where my technique has achieved a level where appreciating these tobaccos is not only possible, but downright consistent.

And this is where the first caveat comes into play here – I think that amongst all the tobaccos that I have tried these past few years, the Mac Baren blends are the ones that I would classify the most as “intermediate to advanced”. Simply put, if you are not able to slow yourself down yet at this stage in your smoking career, you are not going to get 100% out of these blends; you may find them inconsistent, bland, or you may flat out dislike them, you could even end up injuring your tongue. If you don’t find they do much for you now, I would encourage you to put them down for a year or so until you have worked up a bit more experience and try again. If you’re anything like me, you’ll be glad you did.

Although this is meant to be an “omnibus” review of the various blends, I thought I would start first with a few comments that I feel are applicable to all of these tobaccos:

First, I generally dislike aromatic tobaccos. That is not to say that there are not exceptions to this, but they are often few and far between. The thing is that the Mac Baren line toes the line between aromatic and non, in a way that I think is unlike any other blender. There are classic style aromatics in this line, and I think you’ll see that my reviews bear out this dislike for the most part where the topping/flavouring goes over the top. That being said, none of these tobaccos lacks a casing or topping of some sort. For the most part, its subtle and adds to the enjoyment in my opinion. From what I’ve read this is mostly just maple sugar and it really gives this line a distinctive and enjoyable theme that runs through the entire line.

Second, I’m not generally a huge fan of Latakia. Those that follow the TAD thread may recall that I thought I had redeveloped a taste for the leaf recently. Turns out I was incorrect, and Latakia will likely remain a very rare choice for me. This is not much of an issue in the Mac Baren line, and where it is used it is used very sparingly and tastefully.

Third is in reference to my comment above that I consider these to be more advanced tobaccos. While the general advice of “slow down” should always be adhered to with these blends to avoid singing your mouth, I’ve actually found that playing around with the cadence while smoking some of these blends in particular helps to tease out the most flavour, as you’ll see in the Plumcake review below.

Fourth, I don’t tend to smoke bowls all the way to the bottom. I’ve found I just don’t have the patience, and that some blends turn bitter/ashy at the end, so I generally just avoid that part of the bowl as a matter of course no matter which blend I’m smoking. All to say that there will be no comments on the colour or consistency of the ash, as I’ve usually dumped it by the time it gets past a certain “warmth” that tells me a bowl is coming close to the end.

Finally, I’m going to post each review in a separate post in this thread for those who would prefer to skip my introductory blathering, and if and when I do actually smoke my way through the entire “regular” line, I’ll add new reviews as I go.

So, without further ado, and in no particular order, please accept my Mac Baren Omnibus review for your consideration. I hope you enjoy.

Spinkle

Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Golden Extra

In the tin this one gives off a nice scent of sugar and spice. The note also lets you know clearly that this one is a Burley focussed blend; nice nutty bouquet that is enhanced by the maple sugar topping/casing with a hint of chocolate in the background.

When first lit, a very smooth taste of quality brightish Virginia slowly melts away into a very classic burley flavour. A couple of minutes in and the flavour is almost totally subsumed by the burley, and it never gets harsh as you smoke down the bowl. The nuttiness is centre stage, and I would liken this in a way to the HH Burley Flake, but with some subtle sweet flavour enhancement. The flavour is very consistent after the first few puffs, and the aftertaste is nice and sweet but not overpowering.

Out of all of the blends in these reviews I would say that this one is closest to a “codger burley” blend. I find some similarities between this one and Carter Hall, and I think its especially similar to Sutliff’s Ready-Rubbed Match, though the flavour on this one is a bit more light & bright to my palate. In both cases this is the superior blend to my mind.

This is one of my favourites in the line, and I am stocking up to keep it permanently on hand in rotation. 4/4: Highly recommended.

Spinkle

Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Virginia Flake

A bright Virginia Flake that’s not very nuanced, but surprisingly is very satisfying. In the tin it smells of white toast and hay. The flakes are perfectly uniform, cut thin and very easy to rub out. Doesn’t really need much drying time, though I always do at least for a few minutes.

For straight Virginia lovers, this one is about as honest as they come; the flavour is that of a nice bright Virginia with that inherent sweetness in the background and I always seem to get a subtle toasty note when retrohaled and in the sidestream. Doesn’t change much, and stays pretty consistent from first light to the end, with a bit of a growing intensity in flavour which I find typical of all Virginia flakes. Aftertaste is similar to the flavour you get after a piece of toast for breakfast, but with a sweet side.

This flake is not as multifaceted as some other straight Virginia flakes like Best Brown Flake or Full Virginia Flake, but it’s a good honest smoke and I think that makes it just as worthwhile.

I think that this one breaks a bit from the Mac Baren mold in that I don’t detect any of the typical “maple sugar” flavour; tastes more like some added regular old white sugar. Regardless, there is a sweetener, but it serves to enhance, and doesn’t get in the way.

Another winner in the line. I actually think I smoked this 1.75oz tin faster than almost any other tin I’ve had in the last few years. I haven’t yet reordered as I don’t quite have the “craving” for it that I get for other blends. Because of that, I rate it 3/4: Recommended.

Spinkle

Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Navy Flake

I have tried several blends now that call themselves “Navy Flakes”, and there does not seem to be any consistency across the industry as to what the contents should be, but a rum topping does tend to be the common denominator. This is a fairly burley forward blend with some nice quality Virginias and a sweet rum topping. The tin note is heavenly, smells like I remember a nice dark spiced sugarcane rum to smell (I gave up drinking for good a year and a half ago). The flakes are superbly cut and the perfect moisture for rubbing out and packing immediately, a common theme for Mac Baren flakes.

When lit and smoked at a smouldering pace, this one is absolutely sublime. The Virginia is in the background but the burley flavour grows in intensity until it reaches its crescendo at about the halfway point in the bowl. From that point the flavour tends to intensify but not really change. The rum gives the whole thing a tangy sweetness that really ties the blend together masterfully. The rum sublimates the maple sugar taste and mostly pushes it out to the side. You may still get a hint of the maple sugar in the aftertaste as I did.

My first tin of this was purchased from a fellow forum member who sold me one with nine years of age and it was out of this world. I immediately purchased more fresh. I the aged tended to be much sweeter, with the rum somehow even more to the forward. I did actually smoke these back to back for the comparison. This stuff is good either way, but if you can cellar some for a few years I know for a fact you’ll be rewarded. Aged in the tin and the flavour melds so much its tough to pick out the individual tobacco flavours.

A 100% winner in the Mac Baren classic line. I have since ordered 3 more tins, and my next will be a sleeve to start aging this stuff in earnest. 4/4: Highly recommended.

Spinkle

Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Vanilla Flake

I bet you thought this thread was just going to be non-stop praise. Not so.

First, the positives – the tobacco smells great in the tin, very natural vanilla scent, like a vanilla bean you buy at the supermarket for cooking. I did not get much tobacco scent out of this, but perhaps a small hint of bright Virginia behind the vanilla. Flakes are perfectly presented again, and while they feel a bit moist I suspect that is a function of this being more on the aromatic end of the spectrum.

Things go south for me very quick when I light this up. I don’t taste vanilla at all, in fact my senses are overpowered immediately with what I can only describe as some sort of floral essence. I cannot stress just how poorly I react to this tobacco. I was unable to smoke a full bowl of this, and I only ended up even lighting two of the flakes. I just could not do it as it made me legitimately nauseous.

I sent the almost full tin to another forum member who had not tried it. I hope he was able to get some enjoyment out of it, I certainly couldn’t.

In the spirit of rating things in line with the system on tobaccoreviews.com, I rate this one 1/4: Not recommended. If I could I would give it 0 or even a -4. Seems to get some good reviews by others so you may wish to try it for yourself, but its not for me at all.

Spinkle

Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Virginia No. 1

A very handsome ready-rubbed cut that doesn’t really seem to benefit from rubbing out, so I usually just ram a couple of pinches into the pipe. The tin note is a nice sweet Virginia, perhaps a little bit darker smelling than those used in Virginia Flake. I get a subtle honey note from this as well, though that could be subliminal from reading reviews that mention honey in this blend.

This is a classic “haylike” Virginia and the flavour and development through the bowl are what you would expect. Starts light and airy and builds in intensity as you smoke down, though the flavour itself remains consistent. I don’t get as much “buttered toast” from this as I do from Virginia Flake, more just plain sweetness from the bright Virginias; I think this is about as honest as a Virginia blend can come.

Be warned, this can heat up your pipe very quickly if not smoked slowly, so I recommend focussing a bit more on this one if you are going to pack it in your pipe.

I have purchased a bulk pound and cellared it; it currently has about a year and a half on it and I plan on cracking it back open at ten years on the recommendation from jiminks that this stuff gets to another level when aged.

I haven’t had the urge, so have not kept it in current rotation, and for that reason it gets a 3/4: Recommended.

Spinkle

Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Burley London Blend

I managed to snag two tins of this when it was released by smokingpipes.com as a special reissue. Based on the reviews, and the fact that I love Golden Extra I was certain this would be a hit. I was wrong.

I open this tin and all I can smell is a nauseating chocolate topping not unlike “Quik” chocolate powder. I can barely make out some toasted burley in the background.

At the light, I am overwhelmed yet again with what tastes like cheap cocoa powder. Its so frustrating because I can sense an essence of a nice toasted burley somewhere behind this mess. I managed to smoke about half of the tin without throwing any bowls out early, but each bowl was like a battle trying to convince myself that I should like this stuff. Just couldn’t hack it.

If it was a toss-up between this and Golden Extra being discontinued, Mac Baren made the right choice in my opinion. I give this one a 1/4: Not recommended.

PS – any Canadian forum members that like this stuff PM me if you want to trade something for it as I still have an unopened tin that I will never smoke.

Spinkle

Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Dark Twist

My first foray into the world of coin cut tobacco. I thought that I would dislike the cut, but I actually find it endearing in its way. Easy enough to break up, though requires a bit of tearing unlike a straight flake. The tin note is nice and sweet with that Mac Baren signature sweetness, but with a spicy and slightly smoky edge to it. Some of the coins have dark centres some do not, I try to pack each bowl with a mixture of both types, though this gets increasingly difficult as you get to the bottom of the tin.

When you light this one you get that signature maple sugar Virginia flavour, but its tempered by what is clearly a type of dark fired Kentucky tobacco. You would think there would be a dissonance between the smoky spicy flavour of the Kentucky and the sugary topping but they play well together and create a nice mouth-watering savouriness that fades in and out as you work your way down the bowl. I liken it to “sweet and salty” popcorn in that the opposite flavours serve to buttress each other in a surprising way. The flavour does not seem to grow in intensity as you progress unlike some of the others in the line.

All told a very good blend. I have my 2nd tin on the way currently, with a break of about a year since I last tried it. I got the craving, but after a long absence. I would therefore rate this one a 3/4: Recommended. Its actually more of a 3.5/4 and I think you should do yourself a favour and give it a go.

Spinkle

Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Mixture Modern

This blend is marketed and reviewed as more of a traditional aromatic style, and that is evident from the moment you open the tin. The bouquet is very sweet, with a caramel/vanilla hint that is nice in that it doesn’t overwhelm the senses. A very nice consistent ribbon like cut makes packing easy – I feel a bit of greasiness when I handle this tobacco which leads me to believe there may be a bit of PG on it, but I’m not certain as I’m not the type who can detect the humectant in the smoke.

Unlike the other aromatic blends in this line, I find I can actually pull an enjoyable smoke out of this one. The tobacco tastes very much similar to the tin note which is rare in my experience. It has nice subtle vanilla and caramel notes in the background supporting a completely inoffensive mixture of Virginia with a small side of burley.

I’m still working on my first tin of this more than a year after purchase, but when I want a simple aromatic smoke (which is not very often) this is what I turn to. It will ghost a pipe, so choose wisely. Those who are more aromatic in their smoking focus may find this a bit pedestrian and bland, but it does the job. I give it a 2/4: Somewhat recommended as aromatics are just simply not my thing most of the time.

Spinkle

Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Mixture: Scottish Blend

I wanted to save the best for last, but I figure by now many will be giving up on listening to me rattle on, so I thought best to get this one in sooner rather than later.

To get back to something I said in the intro, this is an advanced tobacco in my opinion. In fact, if you can train yourself to smoke this slowly, and get to the point where you can make the flavours sing on a consistent basis I have no doubt that you will be able to smoke any other blend and maximize your enjoyment. This was the blend that taught me the real meaning of slowing down and cadence, and it opened up a world of enjoyment for me.

Quite simply, this is the pipe tobacco to end all pipe tobaccos. This is what should show up in the encyclopedia when one looks up pipe tobacco. The tin note is divine, and has that typical Mac Baren sweet maple sugar, but alongside is a complex bouquet of tobaccos that you can spend minutes picking apart. The blend is an almost fully rubbed out ready rubbed, and all the colour variations of tobacco are present. It looks as good as it smells, and I think the phrase “melange” is appropriate when discussing this blend (I realize its redundant, but it adds some additional tone).

The description says that this blend contains upwards of thirty-five different tobaccos. I believe it. The Virginias are sweet and the burley plays a secondary role. The flavours wax and wane deliciously as you work your way through the bowl. There is definitely some Kentucky in here as well, and it creates a savoury counterpoint that pops in and out as you progress. The real key here is don’t start pulling for flavour or you’ll get less; it’s a delicate balancing act, but the rewards are so good as to be almost indescribable.

Since my first purchase of this I have not been without an open tin on hand. I have smoked more of this tobacco than any other at this point. I have a pound aging and look forward to seeing what time will do. I can’t recommend this tobacco enough and 4/4: Highly recommended is a no-brainer on this one. Try it, and take your time as this is an all-time classic.

Spinkle

Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Symphony

I consider this to be somewhat of a “sister blend” to Golden Extra. Its very much the same cut and looks almost identical. The tin note is much more Virginia focussed than its sibling, but it shares that nice Mac Baren maple sugar note that tends to make your mouth water in anticipation.

On lighting is where things deviate. I don’t get nearly the enjoyment out of this one as I do Golden Extra. I find this much more Virginia forward, with the burley reduced to a support role, and the Virginias seem much more citrusy than any of the other entries in this line. Citrusy Virginias are not my favourite and the burley tends to fall just below that nice nutty threshold and so becomes more of a tease/distraction for me. All in all the combo just does not work for me.

I find this blend to be redundant more than anything, as Golden Extra is along the same lines but vastly superior to my taste. Still, it is more enjoyable than Burley London Blend, so I’ll rate it at 2/4: Somewhat enjoyable. If you like codger burleys you may appreciate this one more than I did, so by all means give it a try.

Spinkle

Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Plumcake

The name of this one is evocative, and conjures up visions of a hearty desert after a holiday meal. It does have a touch of latakia in it, which is evident in the tin note. Add a splash of rum to Scottish Mixture and latakia and this is what I imagine the scent would be.

Lighting this one up you get a taste of the tangy rum with a whisper of smoke from the latakia, along with some very nice sweet bright and dark Virginias and a background note of burley. The flavours do tend to have a bit of variation of strengths as you progress, but there is a nice sweetness that stays consistent. The rum really ties the blend together and I suspect without it it would not be as enjoyable.

A special note on cadence for this one: I’ve actually found that this blend delivers the most flavour if you push it just the tiniest bit. Basically, what I do is slow it down to a typical cadence for smoking a blend like Scottish Mixture, but then once there, I’ll start to pull just a little bit harder. It takes practice, but perhaps paradoxically I’ve found it really maxes out the flavour and thus enjoyment. This is the only blend I have ever smoked that operates like this. If you can work it out, you’ll get as close to pipe nirvana as there is.

This one is a consistent member of my rotation, and I crave it almost as much as Scottish Blend these days. As such, an easy 4/4: Highly recommended.

Spinkle

Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The Solent Mixture

I recently looked up what a “solent” is whilst pondering and smoking a bowl of this and learned that its actually named for the seaway between the mainland of England and the Isle of Wight. Makes sense. Out of all of the blends in the line, this one leans more towards an English style, but it still maintains the hallmarks of the Mac Baren style. The tin note is pretty straightforward latakia with a dash of rum to my nose.

Smoking this one is unique in my experience. It brushes the line of an English, but the sweet sugar and rum take it somewhat out of that realm and almost to aromatic status. I also find that unlike most Englishes I have tried that it is fairly burley forward in flavour. The latakia is a bit more in your face here than in Plumcake, and as I’m no real dedicated fan I find it a bit tiring as I move down the bowl. The rum adds a nice tang. I would call this one a sister blend to Plumcake as the flavours are similar, but the latakia overwhelms a bit as that leaf tends to do, with the result being I find this blend necessarily less complex than its sibling.

I am still working through my first tin of this, so it has not blown me away. Still, I find that when I have a craving for an English blend this does nicely without blowing out my tastebuds on latakia. I give this one a 2.5/4: Somewhat recommended.

Spinkle

Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Club Blend

This one’s a bit of a wild card for me. When I first opened it I didn’t much care for it so shoved it in a jar for a few months. Open it up and you are greeted with a nice haylike Virginia scent with a blast of sugar and honey. The coins are beautiful and fun to work with just like Dark Twist and Roll Cake.

When you learn to slow down on this one you’ll be rewarded with a flavour that is almost akin to s’mores – marshmallow, toasted graham crackers and a bit of chocolate from what I assume is burley. It can be quite delicious when you get in the zone on this one. I will say that I think this is probably the most fickle of all these tobaccos for me, as getting finding the sweet spot is difficult, but incredibly rewarding.

I have devoured almost the entire tin these last two weeks, and I am planning on buying more to keep it around. I think this one will benefit from some more time spent with it as well, as like I say its fickle and may even be trickier to master than Scottish Blend.

I give this one a 4/4: Highly recommended and suspect this will make the permanent rotation.

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
Thank you for taking the time to put together these very well written reviews. I have tried many of these blends but it has been several years since doing so. Around 2014/ 2015 I was sent tobacco by Sutliff to review on a YouTube channel I had at the time. It was like Christmas every month getting a box from them. And since they import for MacBaren I was able to try most of the line. Your reviews just reminded me that these blends are really worth revisiting.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Thanks for your thoughts - good reviews.
I am a huge fan of Golden Extra, Mixture: Scottish, and Virginia Flake.
Having done some aging with Mixture, I will observe that even a couple of years does good things for it, five years is wonderful, and ten is sublime. These blends - which, of course, sell a ton - deserve more positive attention than they often get among hobbyists.
Now, if you will excuse me, I am about to fire up a bowl of Golden Extra. puffy