PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
Title edited for caps! Rule 9, please. -jpm

I find myself without a bicycle, and with gas in CA approaching $6/gallon, that's not a good thing. With a bad back (lthe ol' umbars went out to lunch about three years ago and didn't come back) and finding a bike that's comfortable enough to keep out of a PT program is a challenge.
I settled on a Raleigh Sport, but finding one in the proper size frame for me has been a challenge as well.
I did find one with the dreaded coaster brake 3 speed Sturmey Archer hub so I pulled the trigger and now I have a restoration project on my hands.
I was able to find front a back brakes, and a regular Sturmey Archer hub. What's still needed is a pair of handle bar grips, a kick stand, some Raleigh bronze-green paint for the fenders, a decent saddle and of course replace the hub. Whew!

I thought I'd ask here for advice on how not to get discouraged.
Do any bicycle restorers here have any tips?

Last edited by a moderator:

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
The neat part about "restoration" is that you can make it as historically correct as you want. If you're after a true restoration you'll have to hunt down original parts, but there's no rule that says you can't use modern parts or parts from other manufacturers. As far as colour goes, why not make it your own custom?

Think of it as a pedal powered hot rod.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My major bike as a young person was a brand called Monarch, racer style with the narrow tires, and two gears as I recall, with coaster brakes rather than hand brakes. It was an unusual salmon color. I must have riden it about ten years until I left home at age 19.

The coaster brakes on your restoration caught my ear. Sounds like a good project.

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
It's tough to vacillate between wanting to take your time with a project or hurry up so you can make use of it. When I've restored bikes (none with the Sturmey-Archer) I had the luxury of time. I was also the beneficiary of some amazing help. One bike had a screw broken in the frame which was too small for any of my screw extractors. I took it to a bike shop to see if they could help and another customer who was there volunteered to take care of it. He worked for an aircraft manufacturer and he not only got the screw out, he media blasted the frame so I could get it powder coated. He did this entirely for free.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I find myself without a bicycle, and with gas in CA approaching $6/gallon, that's not a good thing. With a bad back (lthe ol' umbars went out to lunch about three years ago and didn't come back) and finding a bike that's comfortable enough to keep out of a PT program is a challenge.
I settled on a Raleigh Sport, but finding one in the proper size frame for me has been a challenge as well.
I did find one with the dreaded coaster brake 3 speed Sturmey Archer hub so I pulled the trigger and now I have a restoration project on my hands.
I was able to find front a back brakes, and a regular Sturmey Archer hub. What's still needed is a pair of handle bar grips, a kick stand, some Raleigh bronze-green paint for the fenders, a decent saddle and of course replace the hub. Whew!

I have restored several old bicycles but I limit my input to completely cleaning and oiling the bicycle then taking it to a local bike shop for a general tune up which generally includes breaks pads, wiring and tuning the wheels... it runs around $65 to $100.00 on the east coast. Stay away from high end shops that will "find" things you need to repair. Most bike repair guys will give you a huge discount off the bike repairs if the bike they have to work on is clean and they don't have to clean off years of gunk. Most mom and pop local shops have a large inventory of old stock parts and will gladly replace what you need for a small fee. I replace to ride not to restore to new for resale so its more cost effective.
My oldest antique is a copy an 1952 English three speed. I have several pristine ten and 21 speed bikes. But around here ... people toss then after a few years or when the kids go off to school so they aren't that bad shape. There are also cooperatives you can go to where people will help you with your project but you need to google your area. San Fran has several.

This guy passed away many years ago but was an expert on many things: Sheldon Brown - it may help.

Good Luck ! The first 10 are the hardest ! ;)

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
I have restored several old bicycles but I limit my input to completely cleaning and oiling the bicycle then taking it to a local bike shop for a general tune up which generally includes breaks pads, wiring and tuning the wheels... it runs around $65 to $100.00 on the east coast. Stay away from high end shops that will "find" things you need to repair. Most bike repair guys will give you a huge discount off the bike repairs if the bike they have to work on is clean and they don't have to clean off years of gunk. Most mom and pop local shops have a large inventory of old stock parts and will gladly replace what you need for a small fee. I replace to ride not to restore to new for resale so its more cost effective.
My oldest antique is a copy an 1952 English three speed. I have several pristine ten and 21 speed bikes. But around here ... people toss then after a few years or when the kids go off to school so they aren't that bad shape. There are also cooperatives you can go to where people will help you with your project but you need to google your area. San Fran has several.

This guy passed away many years ago but was an expert on many things: Sheldon Brown - it may help.

Good Luck ! The first 10 are the hardest ! ;)
Actually Sheldon Brown's articles offered that Sturmy Archer coaster brakes were not to be trusted, hence the hub change.

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida

I love what you chose to restore. Better quality than whats new out there. OK, gotta dust mine off and get on it. Riding is for my free time and my shiny green Vespa usually gets the nod. My fat body needs the bicycle.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
There is a pretty active vintage bike restoration section on the BikeForums.net forum.
I just polished these stems and seatposts for a guy in NYC who is rebuilding some 1970's Japanese racing bikes.
These parts were shipped back and insured for $1500, so be prepared.
Check out Facebook messenger or Craiglist for suitable candidates.

Goup (1).jpgStem3 (1).jpgStems (1).jpg

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
In '74 my parents bought me a Japanese Miyata 10-speed for my 15th birthday. I loved that bike, until I got a car at 17. I ended up selling it in 1980 when my daughter was born...needed the money. I wish I still had that bike.

As to restoring bikes. It's always been an interest of mine and I've cleaned up and fixed a few, but never a full restoration.

Good luck with your restoration.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I had a shop upgrade components on a Rock Hopper I got my daughter for her daughter.
I got a shop to do It all and it cost $200.

My bike is a Kona Sutra with luggage that I used for runs to the market. Free transportation is nice. I applaud your efforts.

Reactions: scloyd

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I find myself without a bicycle, and with gas in CA approaching $6/gallon, that's not a good thing.
Petrol just went over 2 Euro a litre here ,thats about 10 dollars /US gallon.

like tobacco you guys have it cheap.:)
cellar/buy now it will never be cheaper

well done on your efforts,my interest in 2 wheels starts once it has an engine,although 3 wheels is better

Reactions: scloyd

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
My last and best re-build (IMHO) was an Iron Mountain high-end mountain bike being thrown out on the side of the road ... the owner had stripped the seat, pedals and handlebars. I cannibalized parts from several other mountain bikes also being thrown out elsewhere ... BUT ... I set it up with a wide seat, those wide flat road tires with nobs on side, and the old 8" riser motorcycle style handlebars, fenders, racks, ... everyone wants to ride that one bike ... why ? Because I set it up to have the same feel as the old Schwinn Stingray ... everyone who gets on it feels like they're nine years old again ! O.P. I hope you find what you're looking for ! Enjoy the process too !

Reactions: Sweet Home Alabama

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
I am amazed at how far I've gotten. The hub is changed out and painting the fenders and chain guard is next. I haven't found any Raleigh Bronze Green paint but the remaining paint has been terribly weathered so Olive drab is as close as I can get. Maybe some day I can do a proper deluxe paint job with decals and everything