PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dolomite128

Lurker
Apr 24, 2014
Clinton, MA
Here's a link to my info blog where I'm attempting to review a lot of old classic American Pipe Shops. Information is tough on some of these old shops but I'm originally from the Cleveland area so I had a little access to some locals with information on the Bessai Pipe Clinic.
http://classicpipeshop.blogspot.com/2014/04/the-john-bessai-pipe-clinic-information.html
I plan on the next shop being Jost's Pipe shop out of St. Louis, MO. I realize this is my first post but I've been a lurker on here for a while.
If anyone has hints, tips or suggestions on Pipe Shops to cover, I'd be happy to take them on! I'll probably go after Uhle's at some point along with some others that are currently still open. Sadly, a lot of these brick and mortar shops are long gone.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My nominee would be Pipes by George in Raleigh, N.C., on Hillsborough Street, just off the North Carolina State University

campus. The owner is George Hoffmann and he's been there since 1975. The storefront is totally unassuming, in a row

of shops including a bike repair shop and a tattoo parlor. The inside of the shop is like an old time general store, wide plank

floors, an old time cash register, a humidor, a wall of pipes and a cabinet of tobaccos. You can see photos at his web site;

just Google: Pipes by George. The interior is more evocative than the photos suggest, maybe because of the pipe smoke and

tobacco fragrances.

tlag77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
I would like to add, Paul's Pipe Shop, in Flint MI. Been around for 80+ years.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is a great project. I can recommend three on the East Coast:
Wingenroths - Lebanon PA

http://wingenrothpipeshop-net.webs.com/

Owner - Mel Hemperly
JM Boswells - Chambersburg PA

http://www.boswellpipes.com/

Owners - JM or Dan Boswell
Park Lane - Albany NY

http://www.parklanetobacconist.com/

Owner - Paul Bonaquista
Both have engaging owners with a lot of personaility.

leparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2014
Weyers Cave, VA
Looking forward to future blog entries. I really enjoy the old shops and wish I could visit more. Thank you for giving some info on these shops.

dolomite128

Lurker
Apr 24, 2014
Clinton, MA
Thanks all for your feedback! It's really a labor of love for me as I've been in some great pipe shops over the years that deserve to be in the spotlight (albeit a small one with my new endeavor).
I look forward to reviewing some of these great shops mentioned as I haven't hear of too many (obv Boswells and Park Lane I've heard of). I've lived in Cleveland/Akron, Boston/Worcester (currently again), Milwaukee and Chicago. Some great shops in those areas.
ssjones, you have I have a similar affinity toward the 9438 and the 9242 GBDs. I just recently came across a Jost Deluxe by Comoy of the straight chunky Rhodesian style.
Feels good to finally post on here!

dolomite128

Lurker
Apr 24, 2014
Clinton, MA
That's definitely on my short list. I've been in the several times. Whenever I get back to Chicago I always hit it up. Peretti's here in Boston is on that same list. Iwan Ries is much friendlier service-wise but they each have their solid merits.

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
It's been a while so some of these might be wrong
Iwan Ries - Chicago
Uhle's - Milwaukee
Tobacco Corner - Memphis
Humidor Pipe Shop - Huntsville
Ted's pipe shop - Tulsa
Paul's Pipe Shop - Flint
Fogue & Bates - Tulsa (although I looked for their website and at least online they seem to focus on cigars; could be wrong about this one)
Royal Pipes - Norman, OK
Stag Tobacconists - Albuquerque
Monte's Pipe Shop - Sante Fe or Albuquerque, can't remember
Jon's Pipe Shop - Champaign, IL
Mr. John's Tobacco - Lynchburg, VA
Country Squire - Jackson, MS
diebel's - kansas city
ye olde pipe and tobacco - phoenix
If i think of any more i'll post later

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
If in the Buffalo NY area check out Smoker's Haven in West Seneca. Brian is very friendly and knowledgeable. He is often found at his work table in the shop repairing an estate or creating a new pipe. In the mean while, look over his website smokershavenwny.com.

dolomite128

Lurker
Apr 24, 2014
Clinton, MA
Just updated my blog site to include information on the Jost Pipe Shop in St. Louis, MO.
http://classicpipeshop.blogspot.com/2015/03/josts-pipe-shop-201-north-6th-street-st.html
Appreciate everyone's feedback here and will choose my next shop for review soon. I would have figured more info was available via internet, etc for Jost's shop but it's still open for a lot more info (if anyone here has recollections of the shop, pictures of the shop, etc).
IF there are other recommendations, please feel free to shoot me a PM or post here.
I personally prefer shops that offered their own pipes + blended tobacco but it doesn't have to be the case.
Thanks for looking!

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
dolomite128, Another St. Louis area pipe shop would be John Dengler Tobacconist in the St. Charles historic district. The shop has been around since 1917 and is still owned by the same family.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
The Briar Bowl, Miami Beach, FL. I posted some info in the recent thread about cigar store Indians & other trade figures. This pic was taken in 1947:

TrHCLkV.jpg

dolomite128

Lurker
Apr 24, 2014
Clinton, MA
I noticed they have a sign for a Tobacco Blending Bar there!
My kinda place. The Briar Bowl looks like it's got all the bells and whistles. You ever been there Johnnyreb...or have other info about the shop?

Status
Not open for further replies.