PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Don_Muertos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2023
Nicaragua
Mostly I just wanted a rough census on how many dedicated cob smokers are in the house.

For conversations sake. I'm digging the Missouri Meerschaum Legend, currently. Been mirrin' on the Ozark (I know it's hardwood) and the 5th Ave. How do feel about old-world bisque clay pipes? Are there any other brand of corn cob you've come to appreciate?

I've tried several briar over the last 20 years, I've never been impressed. I had an olivewood for a while that I broke in a motorcycle accident, that was a decent pipe.

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
I smoke corncobs very regularly. I take two with me in my roll every night I work. Usually pack an easy going burley blend for those nights.

When I'm not working, my rotation mainly consists of briar, but I still throw in a cob or two for good measure.

I'm a fan.

Edit: at the moment I have a MM Legend going as well as one of the unfinished ones. Those are my work cobs. At home I have one of the Honeypots and a Carolina gent. I usually bring a new one into play every once in a while, I have a whole drawer dedicated to unsmoked corncob pipes.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I've tried several briar over the last 20 years, I've never been impressed.
Cobs are acceptable acceptable pipes, cheap ... disposable and usually provide a not unreasonable smoking experience. I usually have at least a half dozen spread around in the shop, photo gear bags and the like. Buy enough of them over the years and you'll come across cobs which won't deliver an acceptable smoke. They are no different than any other human constructed tool.

Obviously you consider Olive wood pipes as expendable if you are smoking them while cycling where, stuff bad happens. I rode them for many years. Kucjily walked away from accidents with no more harm than road rash.

Your expectations are seemingly low right now. You certainly do not need to justify your choices to other smokers. All that matters is if you are getting acceptable smoking experiences from whatever you choose. You come across, to me anyway, as a bit of a contrarian. Nothing wrong with that though. At least that's how I read your posts. Just find what you enjoy and smoke them happily. Simple as that.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
SE WI
Big fan.

And then this one is 9 years old. The legend. Been repaired 4 or 5 times, and gone through 2 stems.
Pictured next to a brand new unsmoked one. PXL_20230206_061909045.MP.jpg
PXL_20230206_061901297.MP.jpgPXL_20230206_062139351.MP.jpgPXL_20230206_062201638.MP.jpg

I've grown just as attached to my cobs as my briars.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I have probably 30 or so cobs, 8 of them live in my garage. I smoking them when I'm working in my shop and my hands are all dirty, I'm hard on em. I love em though. I also carry a cob when I'm going to be away from home and don't want to carry a pipe bag so I can smoke the same pipe more than once. Makes traveling light easy.

I would have to think that the quality of the cob makes a difference? Do they use a special variety?
Yes Missouri Meerschaum owns their own corn fields and grows a very specific variety just for pipes. The actual corn is sold off to a whiskey distiller. This is the only place this variety is grown.

Chalaw87

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2021
Northeast TN
+1 for cobs and the MM hardwoods too.
Briar/meerschaum if I have to time to sit and relax, but MM cob/hardwood if Im doing anything physical. I dont feel bad at all for clamping the stem in my mouth (basically clinching unnecessarily hard, which I tend to do when Im doing anything in conjunction with my pipe) because the stem are cheap and easily replaceable. Plus the bowl sizes seem to be ideal for me.

Bob the bear

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2022
Edinburgh UK
Love cobs . Got about 20 or so . Have 1 5th avenue that has started to colour like a meer even . And yes I know I'll probably get frog marched out into the corner of the yard and shot for this next statement 😁 . But I personally honestly prefer them to briars . As for other brands. Nope . The cheapy clones on eBay are mostly nasty and I like supporting and old school well established business like MM who crank out 3 good pipes for less than a tin of baccy