PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Fished "the big one" off the 'bay in a lot of estates. Not much cleaning needed, just a scrub of the stem with Magic Eraser and some baking soda, finished off with Denicotea Mouthpiece Polish and a bit of coconut butter and olive oil.
Previous owner or the 'bay seller had done a decent cleanup on the inside. There was no need to trim any cake but it took a few cotton balls and some shank scrubbing to get rid of some OTC aromatic ghosts. It seems to like Englishes and Balkans best, gets a bit wet with others. Haven't yet tried flakes out of it as I have none open.
This is a MASSIVE pipe in my book. I gather from pipephil.eu that it's a GBD second, but as always more info is welcome. The markings are nice and clear. It has an inlaid silver star on the stem. Here's some pics
001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Thank you! I forgot to mention it is an octagon paneled pipe, looks like a big wooden semi truck lug nut with a stem. I love it! The chamber, of course, is round. Wife says I could probably use it as a weapon, weighs over two ounces

modernchicago

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2011
that pipe would definitely go in my treasure chest. City DeLuxe are one of my favorites - everything about them is good classic design. The logo is inlaid brass rockstar - how cool is that?

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
keith929 Go and Grow usually has a 3 on the room note, going up to a 5 if we forget a timely change, but my daughter usually lets us know pretty quick if there's a need, she's pretty clean.
papipeguy this is my first paneled. I wasn't really looking for a new pipe when this came along. I needed a pipe rack and it just happened to come with 7 pipes. Six went to the 'bay ( I wouldn't really pawn them off on you guys on BriarBid 8O ) and this one is definitely staying.
rothnh I have no idea what the quality standards were when this was made, still trying to figure out the age. It has a hand cut stem, even marked as such. If one sits there and obsesses about the pipe with a pair of calipers, the square shank is about a quarter of a millimeter shorter on the horizontal line than it is on the vertical line, and the draft hole is a smidge off centre :puffy:
photoman13 Unless I go to a drive-in, no movie and pipe. It'll make a good book smoker next summer. For right now since the temps have been creeping towards the single Fahrenheit digits it only sees action on the night walk.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Very nice pipe! My only problem with such big pipes is that clenching against the weight of a big bowl will tear up the stem. I hope you don't suffer the same issues with your pipe.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
rigmedic1 99% of the time I hold my pipes, and never clench the straight ones. It just feels strange to me to hold any pipe between my teeth with no hand support, except when I'm lighting/relighting. Even the cobs ....

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Jim, if I get tired of smoking this Colossus of a pipe any time soon I'll give a heads-up. For now, it's a rather comforting implement :mrgreen:
Still working on re-building some cake and finally chased away all neutral and otherwise funky smells, really makes me wonder what blends did the previous owner put through it? OTC aromatics?
Last night I took it out for a stroll in the cold, filled halfway with SPC Plum Pudding. Bowl note is finally yummi.

Status
Not open for further replies.