New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Tomorrow is Cinco de Mayo. What most Americans and fewer Mexicans know about the holiday is that the celebrations actually started in San Bernardino, California back in 1862 when Americans began having parties to raise money to help the Mexican government repel the French invaders.

On June 7, 2005 the United States Congress officially recognized the holiday and George Bush signed it into law. I add all of this because I am hoping this will not devolve into a political tirade.

The holiday is seen as a day of celebrating freedom and fighting oppression and tyranny.

The point of this thread is this: We have Mexican beers, cars, boots, etc.

Who is aware of any Mexican Tobaccos or pipes, now or historical.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I have to believe that there are other places in the world that make and blend pipe tobacco. It might be that Google simply isn't picking up on those choices for most of us.
Look for blends with San Andres?

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Tobacco and pipes my friend. Who makes them to the south of us? Somebody must.
You can find Rafa Salinas on facebook if you are on there. He sent me some pictures of some fantastic pipes he made.

I have some cigars that are made for the Feria Nacional de San Marcos which is held in my wife's hometown but I've not found pipe tobacco yet. I'll have to ask Mr. Salinas if he knows of any.

telescopes

You can find Rafa Salinas on facebook if you are on there. He sent me some pictures of some fantastic pipes he made.

I have some cigars that are made for the Feria Nacional de San Marcos which is held in my wife's hometown but I've not found pipe tobacco yet. I'll have to ask Mr. Salinas if he knows of any.
Yes, I went to his FB account. Wow. not just beautiful pipes, but the blue prints that show his thoughts on how he cuts the briar. That is something you don't see many pictures of when you look at artisan pipes. Thanks for sharing.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Yes, I went to his FB account. Wow. not just beautiful pipes, but the blue prints that show his thoughts on how he cuts the briar. That is something you don't see many pictures of when you look at artisan pipes. Thanks for sharing.
His prices are incredible too.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I haven't smoked any mexican stuff in a pipe since the late 90's!
?
Jokes aside, a few blends use mexican burley, but I think adding a few coins sliced from a cigar would be the most interesting way to spice up a mixture.

Speaking of spice... who needs a dunhill anyway?

Or you could be a real Red Hot Chili Piper???

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
The next good blend that comes out of Mexico will be the first one. They make other fine things, including their food, but tobacco isn't one of them.

Reactions: dcon

telescopes

I am sure that there are people in Mexico that smoke pipes. I have to think that in Mexico City, there are many pipe smokers. They must get there tobacco somewhere.

I do remember that in Bejing, I was smoking a Calabash Meerschaum in Beijing. I was followed around by hundreds of gawkers while strolling the Olympic Grounds. Apparently, they had never seen such a thing.

That, and everyone thought I was Steven Segal.

• Haha
Reactions: Brendan