PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Morning, I don't know where this thread should go so I put it in general. I hope it doesn't violate any rules either, if it does I'll modify it.

My family has been through a pretty challenging time health wise the last month with a lot of stress, and I resorted to getting cigarettes for the first time in 5 years as I found the instant nicotine kick helped reduce my stress. These things are evil, can't believe how fast they hooked into me again after so long. In less than 2 weeks I went straight back to my bad old chainsmoking habits, popping on the balcony for a smoke all the time and consuming a 50g pouch every 3 days or so. It's almost funny, the first couple of pouches were pretty tasty smoked like a pipe, with no inhale and retrohaling, really tasty Virginia in fact, however very fast I went back to the real cigarette smoker way of inhaling like a true sucker, with a cigarette hanging from the corner of my mouth 24/7, and all taste was gone.

The very annoying thing, and what will make this pouch be my last, is that I just noticed how I can't taste anything - yesterday we got some good news and I decided to treat us to two very nice looking dry aged ribeye steaks - wife (never smoked in her life) found them delicious, I thought they tasted weak. This includes pipe tobacco. I mean I can barely taste Latakia blends, can't taste anything of Virginias and VaPers, and can barely taste heavy hitters like Tom's Dark Twist (1:1 Perique/Kentucky). My wife even said "You harp about all these tobaccos from around the world and now you're chain smoking crap kiosk tobacco like an idiot".

This is not a dig at cigarette smokers, it is just an observation.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Morning, I don't know where this thread should go so I put it in general. I hope it doesn't violate any rules either, if it does I'll modify it.

My family has been through a pretty challenging time health wise the last month with a lot of stress, and I resorted to getting cigarettes for the first time in 5 years as I found the instant nicotine kick helped reduce my stress. These things are evil, can't believe how fast they hooked into me again after so long. In less than 2 weeks I went straight back to my bad old chainsmoking habits, popping on the balcony for a smoke all the time and consuming a 50g pouch every 3 days or so. It's almost funny, the first couple of pouches were pretty tasty smoked like a pipe, with no inhale and retrohaling, really tasty Virginia in fact, however very fast I went back to the real cigarette smoker way of inhaling like a true sucker, with a cigarette hanging from the corner of my mouth 24/7, and all taste was gone.

The very annoying thing, and what will make this pouch be my last, is that I just noticed how I can't taste anything - yesterday we got some good news and I decided to treat us to two very nice looking dry aged ribeye steaks - wife (never smoked in her life) found them delicious, I thought they tasted weak. This includes pipe tobacco. I mean I can barely taste Latakia blends, can't taste anything of Virginias and VaPers, and can barely taste heavy hitters like Tom's Dark Twist (1:1 Perique/Kentucky). My wife even said "You harp about all these tobaccos from around the world and now you're chain smoking crap kiosk tobacco like an idiot".

they can take it. Seriously cigarettes suck. They're the one type of tobacco I almost never touch. The only thing they do that other forms don't is get the nicotine in quickly. So huge cost to cheaper benefit. Oh I hope the stress ends soon too in a good way, as in things get better.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU

Well, Sir If You feel urge to smoke roll you ups, I decidedly would recommend trying full strength Kentucky Dark Fired tobacco Blends such as Van Nelle Zwaar or G&H Kendal Dark cigarette tobacco, I believe You would not be able to smoke these in chain and I doubt If You could be deep inhaling these

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Well, Sir If You feel urge to smoke roll you ups, I decidedly would recommend trying full strength Kentucky Dark Fired tobacco Blends such as Van Nelle Zwaar or G&H Kendal Dark cigarette tobacco, I believe You would not be able to smoke these in chain and I doubt If You could be deep inhaling these
oh you can I used too.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I'm not going to waste good tobacco until I'm done with this pouch or RYO!
Once in awhile I do get a pack of Marlboro Red. Typically when I'm really stressed out. First few sticks always feels amazing. Then, it starts to taste like crap. Usually, I'll finish the pack. They are expensive now days. But don't have an issue with taste going away. Pipe tobacco still taste wonderful.
I did the same with lucky strikes. First smoking like a cigar or pipe not inhaling. They tasted good. Then little by little inhaling more. They really sneak on you. I’m done with it I don’t need to start smoking.

PapeChulo

Lurker
Oct 27, 2020
I remember riding in the car with Dad while he smoked his Camels. I always got a headache but dare not complain. To this day I get a headache when I smell cig smoke. Yet I can smoke a pipe or cigar all day and no problem. Crazy

Reactions: lightmybriar
I had come to pipes after a decade of quitting cigarettes, and I was still smoking the occasional cig while chewing the nic gum and eating the lozenges while adapting to the pipe and still looking for flavors. But, it wasn't until had been off the cigarettes completely that I started developing a palate and actually tasting pipe tobaccos. I think that it is like almost everything in the world of tasting. In wine tasting and coffee tasting, you can't taste as much if you immerse yourself into whatever it is that you want to taste. For wines and coffees, small slurpy sips. If you wait till after you've guzzled a bunch and saturated your taste buds, you will miss a lot of the subtle nuances. Cigarettes are the same. You saturate your mouth and lungs, like plunging your whole head into a vat of wine. Of course it will deaden your ability to taste it. YMMV

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
All of the above is so true. I used to love the odd pack of 10 Woodbines, Park Drive or Players Weights or even Senior Service or a RYO. Once you get settled into a pipe tobacco you are comfortable with that hits the nicotine spot it is better just to travel in one direction. However Five Brothers RYO, there is an idea to conjure with in the quiet small hours!

Reactions: lightmybriar
Status
Not open for further replies.