Cigar Variety Closest To An English/Oriental Blend?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Burlington on Whyte in Edmonton has a cigar made especially for them by Casa Turrent, called the Project X. The store owner is an English pipe tobacco fan. Anyways, this cigar has latakia in it. I don't know if he's allowed to mail order tobacco or not. You'd have to contact them.

Reactions: jvnshr
Mar 1, 2014
I will definitely check out the Toscano.

Funny thing reading about the Italian Cigars, it's said they're supposed to be (can be) cut in half and smoked from each end, I was already considering doing that with my larger Cigars and smoking the first 2" in a nice Stack pipe.
Splitting up the smoke might be a good idea, a full size Cigar can be enough to put me down (especially Camacho).
(I know smoking the final nub in a pipe is a longstanding practice, and I'll probably still do that, but if each half is smoked a week apart I assume the remaining section should to be stored dry.)

Trouble with whole leaf is I've had bulk Turkish before and found it unspectacular. Whatever people use to make a good Oriental blend is probably hard to find.
The Whole Leaf website does describe their varieties as being more or less flavorful, at least if I want to go that route I don't need to buy one of every type.

With the Toscano sticks already being pretty ugly, and on the slim side, it does seem like a good fit for wrapping with other leaves.

I actually bought some of my first pipes and tobacco from Burlington on Whyte, it's ok but you're still better off importing. Canadian retail for niche hobbies tends to act like a tourist trap.
If they have a totally unique cigar it might be worth checking out, I'd bet they'll be charging well over $50 for it though.

Last edited:

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I keep it simple

If I want to smoke something which tastes like pipe tobacco, I smoke a pipe

If I want to taste something which tastes like a cigar, I smoke a cigar
I think this is spot on.

Although pipe and cigar tobaccos are the same species, you wouldn't know it by the flavors produced in the smoke. Really quite different more or less across the board. I would think that although you may get some of the notes of latakia or Oriental in a cigar, you are not going to find even a similarity let alone any type of sameness between them.

I would try appreciating pipe and cigar tobacco for what they are. There's plenty to fall in love with in each.

Reactions: cshubhra

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Funny thing reading about the Italian Cigars, it's said they're supposed to be (can be) cut in half and smoked from each end, I was already considering doing that with my larger Cigars and smoking the first 2" in a nice Stack pipe.
Splitting up the smoke might be a good idea, a full size Cigar can be enough to put me down (especially Camacho).
(I know smoking the final nub in a pipe is a longstanding practice, and I'll probably still do that, but if each half is smoked a week apart I assume the remaining section should to be stored dry.)

Be careful, the wrapper may unravel once you cut a cigar in half.

With the Toscano sticks already being pretty ugly, and on the slim side, it does seem like a good fit for wrapping with other leaves.

That's what a friend of mine thought when I offered him a Toscano, I literally had to shove it into his mouth, now it's his favorite cigar.

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
I will definitely check out the Toscano.

Trouble with whole leaf is I've had bulk Turkish before and found it unspectacular. Whatever people use to make a good Oriental blend is probably hard to find.
The Whole Leaf website does describe their varieties as being more or less flavorful, at least if I want to go that route I don't need to buy one of every type.

I actually bought some of my first pipes and tobacco from Burlington on Whyte, it's ok but you're still better off importing. Canadian retail for niche hobbies tends to act like a tourist trap.
If they have a totally unique cigar it might be worth checking out, I'd bet they'll be charging well over $50 for it though.
I'd just chime in here and say that if you're gonna cut your cigar in half, or in pieces, make sure you have some cigar glue on hand because it will unravel in a heartbeat.

Mar 1, 2014
I'd just chime in here and say that if you're gonna cut your cigar in half, or in pieces, make sure you have some cigar glue on hand because it will unravel in a heartbeat.
The foot half yes, thus the tall pipe to stick it into.
The head should stay wrapped no differently than if you were smoking it.
I know that I'm not going to want to finish the average cigar in one sitting, and starting the next day with a wet nub is just not ideal. Dividing before lighting is going to be the best option.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
The foot half yes, thus the tall pipe to stick it into.
The head should stay wrapped no differently than if you were smoking it.
I know that I'm not going to want to finish the average cigar in one sitting, and starting the next day with a wet nub is just not ideal. Dividing before lighting is going to be the best option.
I've thought about doing this for many cigars I can't finish in one sitting. For me, unfinished cigars are unsmokable after they have been sitting for mere hours, while I can return to my pipes sometimes days later.

Mar 1, 2014
I've thought about doing this for many cigars I can't finish in one sitting. For me, unfinished cigars are unsmokable after they have been sitting for mere hours, while I can return to my pipes sometimes days later.
DGT has worked quite well for me in several cases.
Crazy how different Pipes and Cigars can be.

Reactions: NomadOrb
Status
Not open for further replies.