Cigar Variety Closest To An English/Oriental Blend?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

6 Fresh Castello Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
Not specifically looking for Latakia Cigars (which I have heard do exist, and is probably wasted on a Cigar) but more the Oriental forward variety, with sour and barnyard type notes.
I read a general tasting guide and they say that "Floral" is the tasting note usually given for anything grassy, or hay like, but also herbal and sweet so I can't use that as a definite indicator.
"Candela" cigars keep coming up, but I get the impression those lean more toward being sweet than sour and pungent.

Does anyone here know of a specific cigar type that gives the same sort of effect as a good Oriental tobacco? (e.g. Presbyterian mixture)

Reactions: danimalia

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
A Habanos Cohibia has a definite hay and grassy profile across all their lines. , H. Upman has a similar vibe, a sweet hay . Me who have no good taste buds can pick it out on them if I’m smoking and drinking water. There are a few others I get that vibe from mostly some Dominicans.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Maybe the extreme earthiness of a Nicaraguan cigar with a Mexican San Andres wrapper might be worth checking out... Like a La Mission du L'Atelier or Oliva Serie V maduro. La Flor Dominicana cigars can have musty or sour notes I sometimes associate with Oriental leaf. The floral notes I get with cigars I usually associate with sweetness and creaminess... There is really not anything comparable that I can think of, so these suggestions are big reaches

Mar 1, 2014
I keep it simple

If I want to smoke something which tastes like pipe tobacco, I smoke a pipe

If I want to taste something which tastes like a cigar, I smoke a cigar

Regardless of how much a Cigar could possibly taste like Pipe Tobacco, at least the suggestions we're getting should be a good exploration of what can be done with Cigar Tobacco.

(So far my collection is focusing on Maduro wrappers, like with Latakia or Peated Scotch, when starting out I want the least subtle experience there is. The Camacho Triple Maduro is my favorite Cigar so far.)

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, just the recommendations so far should keep me busy for about a year.
(Very slow pace of consumption)

Last edited:

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Cigars and pipes seem like distant relatives to me. No cigar tastes like a pipe and vice versa. But there are cigar pipe blends like key largo. Might be worth a try? Oriental heavy...I'd lean towards certian after-market mcclelland blends. Maybe some others but I'm not up to date on many blends. But, no cigars come to mind. Perhaps too much of a niche?

Reactions: anotherbob

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
We might have a real contender for "English Oriental" style Cigar.
I see nothing in the description that would suggest that.

I've never heard of anything remotely Oriental in regards to cigars, that's more in the pipe and cigarette realm.

Mar 1, 2014
I see nothing in the description that would suggest that.

I've never heard of anything remotely Oriental in regards to cigars, that's more in the pipe and cigarette realm.
Right, it's not hitting all the notes but it has a lot of the bases covered.
That said, I just watched a few reviews and consensus seems to be the regular Kentucky Fired cigars are more flavorful.
My order with Smokingpipes.com has been placed and it's just a La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero and Drew Estate Kentucky.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Right, it's not hitting all the notes but it has a lot of the bases covered.
That said, I just watched a few reviews and consensus seems to be the regular Kentucky Fired cigars are more flavorful.
My order with Smokingpipes.com has been placed and it's just a La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero and Drew Estate Kentucky.
I like fire cured in everything I've used it in. Those might be worth a shot.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
The closest that I have come to a cigar that reminds me flavor wise of a Latakia type pipe blend is the Drew Estate MUWAT Kentucky Fire Cured Fat Molly. I love them. They have a very unique flavor for a cigar.
AJ Fernandez had the latakia Spectre cigar, but I think that one may have been discontinued.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
You can always roll your own.
There is plenty of whole leaf tobacco out there that is appropriate for this kind of experiment. That would be interesting!

honduras-zimmel-1024x683.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.