PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a near call, and the guy is not only still smoking his cigar, but smiling too. I suspect he's done some business with gators before. My uncle had a pet gator in the pond in his yard in Florida. They'd feed it scraps, and one offering was loaf of stale bread. He held it out and the gator launched up taking the bread and encompassing my uncle's arm. It was a tense few minutes while he extracted his arm from the jaws. I think that gator got relocated and they didn't feed any others. Several small dogs in the area were disappeared.

Reactions: canucklehead
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
That's a near call, and the guy is not only still smoking his cigar, but smiling too. I suspect he's done some business with gators before. My uncle had a pet gator in the pond in his yard in Florida. They'd feed it scraps, and one offering was loaf of stale bread. He held it out and the gator launched up taking the bread and encompassing my uncle's arm. It was a tense few minutes while he extracted his arm from the jaws. I think that gator got relocated and they didn't feed any others. Several small dogs in the area were disappeared.

Yes sir. Feeding alligators can and maybe always will end badly. I live in a town with a lake.. years ago they beefed up our population with transplant gators. After years of no open season and the fact that alligators face few predators. Ours have gotten too friendly.. we have a local gas station on the lake that has a population of gators basically in the parking lot. They sell marshmallows of all things to feed them.. That situation is a time bomb.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I was going to comment on how it's colder up here, but at least we don't have to worry about any pond critters eating our dogs, but then I remembered that there have been several dogs attacked by beavers here, including a full sized German shepherd that got disemboweled by a 90lb beaver while swimming in a pond at a dog park.

I hope that guy's little doggy is ok.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Used to help yearly round up cattle at Jefferson Island salt mine. The head guy was my Grandmothers cousin, rode a big roan. Had several ponds on the island, out of nowhere a big 10 ft gator rammed the roan, head guy almost fell down. I was in a old Chevrolet 6 cylinder pickup with my older cousin driving, he gunned it and ran over that sucker, took several passes to subdue that sucker. That Chevrolet 6 cylinder was a gator killing machine.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Yes sir. Feeding alligators can and maybe always will end badly. I live in a town with a lake.. years ago they beefed up our population with transplant gators. After years of no open season and the fact that alligators face few predators. Ours have gotten too friendly.. we have a local gas station on the lake that has a population of gators basically in the parking lot. They sell marshmallows of all things to feed them.. That situation is a time bomb.
yeah that is. It's best if wild animals don't see people and think FOOD!! Almost every time there is an issue with a black bear it's been because idiots feed it sadly often ends with the bear being relocated and then killed if it comes back. The other time people are in danger with black bears is when there is no food and they get cranky and willing to take more risks. Otherwise they'll run away from you.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I was going to comment on how it's colder up here, but at least we don't have to worry about any pond critters eating our dogs, but then I remembered that there have been several dogs attacked by beavers here, including a full sized German shepherd that got disemboweled by a 90lb beaver while swimming in a pond at a dog park.

I hope that guy's little doggy is ok.
you're assuming the dog is his pet, might be the other way round. Just saying you never know.

Reactions: canucklehead
Status
Not open for further replies.