PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've heard it doesn't taste like much. The cigar is engineered to give an optimal cigar experience, and

crushing it is like trying to gauge the performance of a car after it has been to the crusher. Cigar leaf

in pipe blends doesn't usually do too well either, but I think Cornell & Diehl's Big'n'Burley does rather well

with it, if you like burley forward blends. It has a faint reminiscent hint of a cigar without diminishing the

pipe experience.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
My stepfather puts his cigar butts in the end of his pipe and finishes them off that way. Not sure how the taste or anything is, but I know it can be done.

Jan 8, 2013
Someone actually makes these little cigar type things that are meant for being stuffed in your pipe. I can't remember exactly what their called or who makes them though.

Jun 4, 2014
I once took a cigar sliced it into rings, packed it and smoked it in one of my pipes. It wasn't the worse thing I've smoked, but it was far from great. While it was cigarish in flavor, it tasted nothing like just smoking the cigar.

Jan 8, 2013
Regarding my post above... I found it :D They're called bouchons. http://dutchpipesmoker.wordpress.com/2013/03/19/sunny-semois/

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I remember old timers putting their De Nobii's in pipes. Those were real men. There are cigar blends for pipes. Billy Budd from C&D is very popular.

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
I once had a cigar that I particularly enjoyed so I shredded the stub and loaded a couple bowls with it. It maintained the flavor of the cigar pretty well except that it had a harshness to it that I didn't experience with the original cigar. I suspect that the harshness was due to the stub filtering and accumulating the oils and tars during the initial smoking experience.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
P G Woodhouse used to crush cigars up and put it in his pipe. I tried it once a few years ago out of desperation as I had run out of tobacco and I was in the middle of nowhere. Not a good idea by any stretch of the imagination!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In my second post on this thread, I said the Cornell & Diehl burley blend with cigar leaf was

Big'n'Burley, but papipeguy said it right: It's the C&D blend Billy Budd. I've been reveling in

the C&D burley blends, but I missed on that point. What have I been smoking? While I'm at it,

the burley blends I've been enjoying are C&D Old Joe Krantz, Pegasus, Dark Burley, Billy Budd,

and Big'n'Burley, and GL Pease Triple Play. All burley, all different. But for the cigar leaf, go to

Billy Budd. Thanks, papipeguy.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
There's a scene in the famous movie "M" from the 1930's that has scene in which are smoking around a table and at least one of them is smoking a cigar in his pipe.

May 31, 2012
Interesting convo here.
They used to make pipes for smoking a cigar in,

here's a thread where a forum bro found a cool old BBB and there's a few pix of cigars in pipes, including one from M that kcghost mentioned...

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/restoration-questions-re-odd-bbb-pipe-pics
It's a very cool looking old BBB!

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
I once read that Winston Churchill's gardener used to accumulate his butts, dry the out and smoke them in a pipe.

mainman341

Lurker
Aug 18, 2014
You like Maduros?...some spice? Get a tin of GLP Key Largo...

When I first started the pipe I wanted to duplicate my cigar experiences..and this

was one of the first tins I picked up based on some reccs from forums.

It pretty much hits the nail on the head..

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
If you want the taste of a cigar, smoke a cigar. I've yet to read anyone saying that they had replicated that taste in a pipe. There are, however, a significant number of blends that incorporate cigar leaf, thereby obtaining cigar overtones. My experience is that such leaf renders a fuller, rounder flavor, but not the taste of a cigar.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
mainman, thanks for the Key Largo recommendation. Sounds like it could be right up my avenue, next time

I shop tinned. For me, I have a lot on hand right now, but eventually.

I really like Virginia Spice by H&H. Russ uses the cigar leaf as a creamy element to the VaPer. I love it. I also like Key Largo, beut what I find is that these two use the cigar leaf for what they can add as a condiment to the blend, not trying to reproduce a cigar effect in a pipe.
I've recently tried cigars these last few weeks. And, I've played around with adding it to Virginias. A younger guy in my pipe club suggested that the briar alters the way the cigar leaf taste, and I think he is right. It brings its own flavors to the mix when added to blends, but I don't think its possible to get the legitimate flavor of a cigar in a pipe. Maybe my friend is correct that it has to do with the briar.

simba

Lurker
Mar 19, 2016
well, actually it's not a bad idea.

i always smoke dunhill 965 as my primary tobacco although i tried many kind of tobacco.

*but it always back to 965 :lol:

my other best friends are sillem's london blend and HH vintage syrian.
there was a time, i was running out of tobacco. none sells pipe tobacco :cry:

when i went into a gelael, a foreign minimarket here, i found some local tobacco.

it is cheap...about USD10 for 10 double corona cigars. so i bought it. i crushed them one by one, and put it in my HH vintage syrian :lol:
although it burns faster than any pipe tobacco, easy to burn once it was litted. but consider it is cool burning, no tongue bite (wow), and also i found the taste is good.
also i tried once to crush 1 robusto cigar. it was local brand, ramayana rothschild, ring 50, length 6". it costs me around USD 4/cigar. but yes...it taste better than the crushed double corona "pipe tobacco" :lol:
well, at least i can smoke my pipe when i can't find any pipe tobacco.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Has anyone tried mixing the blending cigar leaf with Semois? Did someone else ask this? I like to mix it with Virginias and a bit of dark or cube cut Burley.

Status
Not open for further replies.