PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
Hi I keep about 5 tins of pipe tobacco in a cigar humidor. I live in Pensacola so its already humid here. The humidor comes with a humidification device. Add water and happy day. I find the device keeps the humidor at about 75% humidity. I keep my pipe tobacco in the origional tins, in the humidor. Anybody see anything wrong with this set up? Perhaps I shouldn't add any water to it? 75% is a kinda high.

Reactions: JOHN72

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Tin sealed in a humidor? They may end up rusting. I don't know what effect humidity has on the tobacco in a sealed tin, to be honest. I never did this experiment. I think it will not have any effect on tobacco. Can the moisture penetrate? It is only a personal opinion.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
75% seems high for cigar storage. I try to keep most of my humidors under 70% (around 65% seems to smoke better with regard to even burn, but depending on how long you plan to store, percentages can vary). I'd be careful about any aromatic pipe tobaccos, latakia heavy blends, or flavoured cigars being stored with "regular" cigars, as you will for lack of a better term, "ghost" both your cigars and the cedar of your humidor. I have a cheap humidor set up just for the flavoured cigars (not the biggest fan, but, I end up being given them) and aromatic pouched tobacco I've been gifted.

Not sure about penetration of a sealed tin.

Reactions: ak2000

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
No cigars in the humidor. The tins are in use while I switch from one to another so its not really cellaring. I'm somewhat of a noob and just don't know what I like so I've been switching from one tobacco to another to see if I'm drawn in any direction. 75% is high. I'll remove the moisture device. I'll keep an eye out for rust.

Reactions: kcghost
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
75% might not be high if you factor in the closed tin is a barrier. Why not leave the humidification device in place for now and check the moisture of the pipe tobacco over a week. If it gets too wet, you can always dry your tobacco anyway. I would be concerned about rust, though.