PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I was visiting some people today, and John showed me his Grandfather's piece here, which I assume is a cigar holder. I should have taken a few better photo's sorry.

The piece came from England to New Zealand in 1904, so it was from England sometime prior to 1904. And the grandfather was born in the 1870s, so I guess it would be 1890ish-1900ish?

It has an orific bit of course, in what I thought should be amber, but not certain. The smoking end is briar, but the main body is this shiny black material with knobbly details, maybe just hard wood polished up and blackened, or maybe a dark horn??? I could no see any sign of grain just with the naked eye.

IMG_1002.jpg
The Grandfather also ran this cigar shop, this was his business card:
IMG_1004.jpg

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
The body actually reminds me of oxblood meer, but then why they would put a briar end on it I haven’t the foggiest. Get your mate to sing out if he needs a cheroot or two to get it fired up

Reactions: OzPiper

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It looks like the long way round to smoking a pipe, but it is a true piece of history. My maternal grandfather, a lawyer, always used to use those cigar holders that fit just the end of the cigar, so you can smoke it more toward the end. They weren't fancy, but were well made and kind of classy looking. He had a dry wit and used to call his suit and tie his swindling clothes.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
No hallmarks on the band?

Reminds me of the knobby meers, I forget whether the reason for them is to assist with dissipating heat through more surface area, or to help hold the pipe. Like this one:

View attachment 152026
Ahi Ka, I have an almost identical pipe to yours only mine has a shorter silver band and a straight bone mouthpiece! Mine is slightly darker in colour too but has no case.

It came with a large 'joblot' I bought some years ago and I've guessed its date to be early 1800's.

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: Ahi Ka