PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jeremiah Johnson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2020
Westchester County, NY
I don't own a Churchwarden pipe, and have never smoked one, but I was just admiring the Ropp Churchwardens on Smokingipes.com. Smokingpipes has this to say about Churchwardens:

Churchwardens are considered popular reading pipes. Perfect for smoking while lounged in an armchair, the characteristically long stem ensures that attention remains on the pages before you, requiring little movement to smoke.

Is that true? It seems to make sense. Do many of you use them as a "reading pipe?" I like the idea of having a reading pipe. Just for me personally, I think I'd feel a bit silly smoking a Churchwarden, but since I've grown a decent beard in the last few months, I feel like now I could probably pull it off. I've NEVER yet smoked a pipe in public (only started smoking a pipe in April though), and if I did get a Churchwarden I'd probably limit it to the home and backyard even if I started smoking a pipe in public.

How do you like Churchwardens, and the smoking experience you get from them? Is it notably cooler? Actually, I don't really have a problem with a smoke not being cool - even if a bowl gets hot, I never find the actual smoke to be hot at all.

Zack Miller

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Fort Worth, Texas
I think it’s an aesthetic thing. Some people here don’t like them. I have a Savinelli and I love it. Wife likes it too. I doubt it actually smokes cooler. i only smoke outside, so it’s not a reading pipe for me. I certainly would not smoke it away from home as it doesn’t travel well.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and wyfbane

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Definitely the perfect pipe for reading, watching TV or a device, or just pondering deeply or gazing into a fireplace or at a candlelit room. With your elbow on the arm of a chair, it is the perfect smoke. I have a Savinelli 601 fully arched stem churchwarden and a small EWA green stained Dublin churchwarden, and several longer stemmed pipes that are not churchwardens but fill some of that purpose. Try one, I believe you will like it a lot. It is not a pipe to carry around in hand or in your mouth; you have other pipes for that purpose, so no concern about your public appearance. It's not even that mobil around the house since it can knock against lamps, woodwork, etc. But for seated smoking, it is ideal.

Zack Miller

Dec 13, 2020
Fort Worth, Texas
Definitely the perfect pipe for reading, watching TV or a device, or just pondering deeply or gazing into a fireplace or at a candlelit room. With your elbow on the arm of a chair, it is the perfect smoke. I have a Savinelli 601 fully arched stem churchwarden and a small EWA green stained Dublin churchwarden, and several longer stemmed pipes that are not churchwardens but fill some of that purpose. Try one, I believe you will like it a lot. It is not a pipe to carry around in hand or in your mouth; you have other pipes for that purpose, so no concern about your public appearance. It's not even that mobil around the house since it can knock against lamps, woodwork, etc. But for seated smoking, it is ideal.
Yup. The first day it arrived I smacked it against the door When I opened it.

Reactions: mso489

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I don't own a Churchwarden pipe, and have never smoked one, but I was just admiring the Ropp Churchwardens on Smokingipes.com. Smokingpipes has this to say about Churchwardens:

Churchwardens are considered popular reading pipes. Perfect for smoking while lounged in an armchair, the characteristically long stem ensures that attention remains on the pages before you, requiring little movement to smoke.

Is that true? It seems to make sense. Do many of you use them as a "reading pipe?" I like the idea of having a reading pipe. Just for me personally, I think I'd feel a bit silly smoking a Churchwarden, but since I've grown a decent beard in the last few months, I feel like now I could probably pull it off. I've NEVER yet smoked a pipe in public (only started smoking a pipe in April though), and if I did get a Churchwarden I'd probably limit it to the home and backyard even if I started smoking a pipe in public.

How do you like Churchwardens, and the smoking experience you get from them? Is it notably cooler? Actually, I don't really have a problem with a smoke not being cool - even if a bowl gets hot, I never find the actual smoke to be hot at all.
I love my two ones. Yeah they are great for reading. One of the things I like is they're not clenchers which seems to help with the contemplative aspect of smoking. And if you smoke one in public you'll probably get compliments more then side eyes. And no it's not notably cooler and nose warmers don't smoke notably hotter. I can tell a difference but I have to look for it. And it might just be that particular pipe more then that style if that makes sense.

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale

You'll get strange looks in public whether you are smoking a churchwarden or not...I get them all the time, although sometimes it's hard to tell whether it's just because I'm butt ugly or because of my pipe...most of the time it's probably because of the pipe though.

Reactions: magicpiper

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Not so sure about reading, but they're awesome for driving: my elbow rests on the side tray and my pipe's bit is within milimetres of my mouth. With regular-sized pipes I have to lift my arm off the rest.

The smoke is not necessarily cooler: I've seared my tongue with them as with any other pipe, but this is more about proper technique than length of stem.

They're not really for clenching, although since most tend to have smaller bowls (when compared to regular-sized pipes) they're light enough to clench in a pinch (such as when shifting gears).

I totally love them!

Reactions: Kozeman

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
I have a churchwarden, and I agree they are great for reading. Not so great for working at the computer though. When I do that, I clench a cob.