PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

roryrumfelt

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2014
SO IVE FINALY DECIDED

I'm getting rid of most if not all of my VaPers, my navy flakes, MOST aros (excluding cherry blends of course).

Trading my orlik for the frog and my escudo for hh lat flake (yum).

This isn't a trade request or anything, hahaha just wondering if any of you are in the same boat, or hell the opposite boat!

Early in my pipesmoking career I accepted it all, burnt my tounge on my fair share of over the counter blends, leveled up to ordering tins of whatever was recommended.

Now I've just decided I'm a English man, there are a FEW VaPers I like (not completely heartless) hell I still have a soft spot for captain black hahaha.

Just curious on everyone's stances and thoughts. Cheers!

briarfanatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2013
Hey, to each his own. I tried hundreds of blends and then fell onto McClellands Virginia #22, Dunhill EMP and Nightcap, and Amphora Red full aroma to fill my straight VA, English, Oriental, and Aromatic as my go to's in the early 2000's. I gave up the pipe for ten years, and stumbled on this forum. I tried a bunch of blends.....but realized I still like the said four blends the most. I guess sometimes one category or blend just speaks to someone.
It is a journey. Now....What English blends are your current go to's?

Mar 30, 2014
wv
6Ex5d0xm.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
English blends with Latakia and/or Perique and maybe Orientals are among the master works of professional blending, it's true. What's more, the shear variety in the genre means that you can venture far and wide with the blends and always find something new, and have wonderful homecomings with blends you enjoyed months or years ago. So I'm with you that far. I was deep into English blends before I really ventured into Va/Pers. And a second revelation was my discovery of some of the fabulous non-aro burley blends, especially from C&D. I just took delivery of a tin of Nat Sherman, a rather mild mannered but truly refined and elegant English blend, and by-and-by I will enjoy that -- I first met it as a bulk purchase at the Nat Sherman shop in Manhattan. But as mcitinner1 points out, your tastes can shift, or you may simply need a change of pace now and then, and for that reason, I wouldn't get dogmatically stuck on any particular genre. It is my contention that we live in the (THE) golden age of pipe tobacco blends, and I really don't want to marry one genre at the expensive of the larger scene. English blends are first with me, but far from only.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I'm still exploring the different types and blends of tobacco. I do have a couple blends that are on my "keeper" list and some that I find too strong at this time. I'm going to keep sampling to find more blends that I enjoy and the ones I don't care for now have been put into the cellar to try in a few months or in a year or so to see what I think of them then. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.