PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wifesbain

Might Stick Around
Jul 28, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
Evening all
I have read several posts here, but this is my first post. I am one of those people who tries to do everything myself, even if it gets me in trouble. With that in mind, and the fact I have more time than money, I have been collecting estate lots for a while and cleaning them up as I go.
I have one pipe in my collection that is rather good looking but has a chunk missing at the bottom of the bowl. It looks as though someone tried to ream it (briar is exposed all around), caught a crack, and kept twisting. There is a chunk measuring roughly 1/4x1/4x 1/8” deep that has been torn out. The air shaft is intact as this chunk is on the opposite side. Being a bit of a nerd I put a height gage on it and found that it is roughly 1/2 of the wall thickness.

My question is, would pipe mud be able to fix something this big? I read an article about pipe mud (cigar ash and water) versus pipe cement (wood ash and water), but didn’t know if either option would be viable and/or reliable.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks

Reactions: seanv

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Personally, I'd just smoke it, and if it burns out, big deal. Your life philosophy might be different, though. But, yeah, pipe mud can't hurt, and it might help. Some guys use fireplace mortar and stuff like that, but I've never tried that.
Welcome too the forum!

Wifesbain

Might Stick Around
Jul 28, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
Do you have a photo or two?
I would guess pipe mud would work but that is only a guess
Messing around with a Dental pic I found that the whole bottom has been separated, but it appeared to be a chunk missing from the opposite side as the air hole... it had just shifted. If mud works it may actually be easier since I can round a dowel to pack the mud and run a stem drill through it all.6D65E62B-E978-4881-861C-EEB7D469589F.jpeg

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I had a pipe with a similar issue. I bought it as an estate as well. I pipe muddled it but never smoked it again. It looks good. Maybe I'll pull it out one of these days. Good luck on the repair.

Wifesbain

Might Stick Around
Jul 28, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
Personally, I'd just smoke it, and if it burns out, big deal. Your life philosophy might be different, though. But, yeah, pipe mud can't hurt, and it might help. Some guys use fireplace mortar and stuff like that, but I've never tried that.
Welcome too the forum!
It is probably a philosophy I should develop more now that you mention it. My tendency is to use everything I own, including each piece of what my wife calls “an excessively silly quantity” of antique hammers. French -German accountants cant understand collections. Or the fact that a little rust does not equal junk.
The lot of 12 pipes was about $20 if I remember correctly, so I wouldn’t be out much. I waste more money on lottery tickets...
Thanks for the welcome.

Wifesbain

Might Stick Around
Jul 28, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
Looks like a broken Meer insert.
Ah! You are correct. I hadn’t heard of meerschaum liners, but thought the sunken face with a radius looked different. The bottom says “meerschaum lined Dr. Grabow”. Meerschaum was hard to read until you prompted me to look. Any idea if that is fixable or replaceable?
Thanks

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Ah! You are correct. I hadn’t heard of meerschaum liners, but thought the sunken face with a radius looked different. The bottom says “meerschaum lined Dr. Grabow”. Meerschaum was hard to read until you prompted me to look. Any idea if that is fixable or replaceable?
Thanks
Yes you can use plaster of Paris. Then just redrill the airway.

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
That is indeed a meerschaum-lined pipe. Plaster of Paris is the fix. Years ago they used a mixture of eff whites and powdered chalk. I have successfully used meerschaum dust and eff whites for the same repair. Your idea of using a shaped dowel as a "form" is right on point and should work with any of the above. Coat the dowel with petroleum jelly as a mold release agent.

LOREN

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
That is indeed a meerschaum-lined pipe. Plaster of Paris is the fix. Years ago they used a mixture of eff whites and powdered chalk. I have successfully used meerschaum dust and eff whites for the same repair. Your idea of using a shaped dowel as a "form" is right on point and should work with any of the above. Coat the dowel with petroleum jelly as a mold release agent.
Does eff whites = egg whites?

Status
Not open for further replies.