PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvergreenPiper

Might Stick Around
Oct 3, 2019
You get what you pay for. AliExpress has millions of good vendors and zillions of bad ones. You cannot just generalize them. I would suggest go thru the ratings and check how many they have sold. I will never buy from those sellers/products with less than 5 selling history with under 4.5 stars.

Sharing my experience here. I bought 12 pcs of pipe stands with shipping cost end up with less than $3.00/pcs!!! I compared to the one I purchased from Amazon at $9.99, they are exactly the same!!! Only difference is the shipmetn tooks 3 weeks vs. prime 2-day.
1610475469566.png

IMG_9529.jpg

Kottan

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
I have been looking for a replacement s-pen for my new tablet. (My daughter borrowed mine right away). These things are pretty expensive and then I found one for $7.50.Just as I was about to start the buying process I read the magic words 'made in China' and 'Ali Baba'. The purchase did not materialize.

They are probably made in China anyway, as the tablet probably is, but I didn't feel like waiting so long for it and ending up humoring it like I did the two $1 high-end Chinese pipes I bought just out of curiosity.

Reactions: BROBS and jpmcwjr
Jan 27, 2020
You get what you pay for. AliExpress has millions of good vendors and zillions of bad ones. You cannot just generalize them. I would suggest go thru the ratings and check how many they have sold. I will never buy from those sellers/products with less than 5 selling history with under 4.5 stars.

Sharing my experience here. I bought 12 pcs of pipe stands with shipping cost end up with less than $3.00/pcs!!! I compared to the one I purchased from Amazon at $9.99, they are exactly the same!!! Only difference is the shipmetn tooks 3 weeks vs. prime 2-day.
View attachment 59774

View attachment 59770

Is the one on the left made with gynecologic equipment surplus?

tklee

Lifer
Dec 31, 2021
Malaysia
I wouldn't trust something with that price too. But actually, when i started smoking pipe not long ago, i bought two pipes from a Chinese vendor whom they claimed they are the pipe maker through my local online shopping platform. One is made out of red sandalwood (red wood color), another one is made of ebony wood (black wood), just like what is described on the $3 pipe u bought. The red sandalwood sucked, the outer-coat layer appeared bubble after 2 round, and it cracked. But the black color one (which is made of ebony wood) lasts well, i'm using it until now. And of course, the ebony wood pipe is more expensive than the red sandalwood pipe. Like EvergreenPiper and some other friends here said, u actually get what u paid for :)
No harm trying some error, from these two cheap pipes, it pushed me to get a Dr. Plumb briar wood and a Peterson standard system after that :D No regrets trying out those two cheap pipes and then getting those two slightly expensive pipes :D
I just ordered another Briar wood Churchwarden pipe from another China vendor, and a meerschaum pipe from Etsy, let's see what's the outcome after getting it :)
Ahh, here is some info about ebony wood. Mmmm..... it's not as good as briar wood and pear wood, but good to know :)

Ebony - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebony

Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
China's reputation with consumer products from dog food to shoes is highly variable. People forget that China is the source of all those superbly made dirt cheap stainless steal kitchen utensils we've all bought at Walmart for decades, and similar niches of excellent manufactured items, not to mention digital chips and electronic gear and chips for our automobiles. But still, there's reason to be skeptical. Some of the products are dreadful, and some of the pipes are some of those. This isn't so much a product test as an entry in a lotto; the pipe could be worthless or shamelessly perfect--just no telling. I await results.

Status
Not open for further replies.