PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I have 2 Christmas pipes, an Altinok (previously posted) and a Savinelli St. Nick 2017 bent billiard. Both are smoked year round, but see more action around Christmas.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
He'll bust you with the ol' Applachian Dulcimer!

I'm at the point of my pipe career where any pipe I buy has to be something I'd be willing to smoke year round. I did like the Peterson series from the year before last, I think, with the white stems.

What you done said, yeh.

BTW, re what I've said about just not caring much for Pete's, that one I actually do like. :)

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
For what it's worth I thought the Peterson Christmas 2018 pipes looked very nice. However Peterson seems to have some quality control issues. Lots of members love them (including many with a lot more experience than me), but I would personally not buy a new Peterson.

I love the Peterson Christmas pipes, 2018 and especially 2019 (they had me at Cumberland stem and copper band). I don't have either, but plan to rectify that soon.

On the matter of Peterson's quality control:

I currently own 3 Petersons, and had 4 others back in the days of the late 90s/early 2000s. All of them smoked well and looked great, except for a little gurgle with the Donegal Rocky 01 that I currently own. This has decreased over time as the pipe was broken in, but it's still there sometimes. The Shannon XL05 I bought on sale earlier this year was butt ugly, but it smokes great. The ugly was fixed with sandpaper, dye, carnauba wax, and a Dremel.

Full disclosure, I admit to being kind of a Peterson fanboy and know there legit gripes about Peterson, especially with the price to quality ratio. Hopefully their new owners have improved quality control, and I like the new stuff they're putting out. My St. Patrick's Day '19 system pipe is a gem.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Ray - that's an awesome meerschaum! What a perfect Christmas pipe.

I have a 2018 Peterson Christmas pipe, and it's one of my favorite pipes. It's an 87 shape, a straight apple. The maroon color of the briar and the copper band make a very good looking combination. I also bought a bent shape, but the draft hole was drilled at the top of the mortise like so many other Petersons so unfortunately I did not like it and I sent it back.

This is really getting sad, as much as I hate to have to say it. I mean, WTH are they thinking at the factory, allowing so many substandard items to go out? Did they can all their QA staff, or even more basically, did all the good production people disappear? All it does is increase costs due to all the returns & associated lost revenue & goodwill. I seriously honestly am NOT one to harp & criticize, but really.... Can you imagine what would happen if artisan makers, or other reputable production makers like, say, Savinelli were to let this happen? They wouldn't last two years.

I truly don't have axe either for or against Peterson; they're just a maker like some others where I "just never got into the habit." To me at least, that means I look at the situation from an unbiased POV. :\ I really do hate to see a good maker go down like this.

Bill

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
This year’s Peterson looks a lot like last year’s version. The look is good and could be used year round of course.

Reactions: rogers

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
SO - Is a Christmas pipe only to be smoked during Christmas? I think that is the question that makes me hesitate when considering buying one. However, I do like the idea of getting another pipe. Just not one that I will only use for a couple of months at the most.

I can't speak for anybody else, but to me it's not at all like a Chirstmas tie where it's only appropriate a couple of weeks out of the year. I've got a few Xmas pipes, & they're definitely in full-time rotation. :But that's just me." -laugh-

Bill

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
This is really getting sad, as much as I hate to have to say it. I mean, WTH are they thinking at the factory, allowing so many substandard items to go out? Did they can all their QA staff, or even more basically, did all the good production people disappear? All it does is increase costs due to all the returns & associated lost revenue & goodwill. I seriously honestly am NOT one to harp & criticize, but really.... Can you imagine what would happen if artisan makers, or other reputable production makers like, say, Savinelli were to let this happen? They wouldn't last two years.

I truly don't have axe either for or against Peterson; they're just a maker like some others where I "just never got into the habit." To me at least, that means I look at the situation from an unbiased POV. :\ I really do hate to see a good maker go down like this.

Bill

Every bent Peterson I've ever looked at, which is admittedly only a handful, is drilled with the draft hole at the top of the mortise, and at this point I think they make them that way on purpose. I suspect that once upon a time, many pipe smokers were not as particular as we all are about our pipes and our baccy. Even today, while we discuss the nuances of different Virginia flakes, most pipe smokers are out there just puffing away on 1Q or maybe even some Captain Black. I would venture to guess that the majority of smokers don't even consider drilling issues, and they just happily puff away, gurgle and all!

Other forum members have offered some sensical explanations as well, including that Pete might use the same equipment on their filtered pipes as well as their unfiltered pipes, resulting in a longer mortise than usual and an off center draft hole placement. Anyhow, I agree that it's a shame because I really like a lot of Peterson's shapes, and if they were well drilled, they'd be a great relatively inexpensive factory pipe and I would definitely buy a few.

EDIT: I typed out the word p-u-f-f-i-n-g above a couple times and resulted in the little smoker emoji! Totally unintentional, but oh well puf

Jun 9, 2018
England
I only have 2: a 2017 Peterson and a 2018 Savinelli.
I like the look of this years Sav with its silver/gold band and hopefully I'll get my mits on a 106.

Chris.

jfc1960

Lurker
Oct 7, 2019
Hi there guys, there are some nice Christmas edition pipes out there and every year at Christmas, Peterson and Savinelli makes new ones. I've been tempted several times to pull the trigger and get that pipe but I am held back. What should I consider?

I'm an amateur pipe smoker. Your feedback will be very much appreciated. Thanks!
I put Pipes and a list of tobaccos at the top of my Christmas list. No more socks for me....!!

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
This "Christmas pipe", so called because I bought it last December and the band seemed seasonal, is smoked all year round. Probably with a seasonal blend at the Holidays :)
Peterson Rock of Kashel 408

Status
Not open for further replies.