PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Okay, full disclosure. I love Christmas and I love Christmas music! I love many genres of music, from country to classic rock, to metal, jazz, blues, classical, swing, etc. I hate when an iconic song is remade! Nobody but Led Zeppelin should, by law, ever be able to perform or record Stairway to Heaven! Sacrilege!
The same applies to Christmas music. Some songs, by some artists, should never be sung by ANYONE else! White Christmas (Bing), Blue Christmas (Elvis), Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree (Brenda Lee), The Christmas Song - Chestnut Roasting On An Open Fire (Johnny Mathis), Rudolph (Burl Ives).
I won't listen to any arguments on this. Now, get off my lawn! And Merry Christmas to all!

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
Okay, full disclosure. I love Christmas and I love Christmas music! I love many genres of music, from country to classic rock, to metal, jazz, blues, classical, swing, etc. I hate when an iconic song is remade! Nobody but Led Zeppelin should, by law, ever be able to perform or record Stairway to Heaven! Sacrilege!
The same applies to Christmas music. Some songs, by some artists, should never be sung by ANYONE else! White Christmas (Bing), Blue Christmas (Elvis), Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree (Brenda Lee), The Christmas Song - Chestnut Roasting On An Open Fire (Johnny Mathis), Rudolph (Burl Ives).
I won't listen to any arguments on this. Now, get off my lawn! And Merry Christmas to all!

Very traditional. Very American.

Reactions: tschiraldi

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Used to hate Christmas songs. Used to march in every Christmas parades within 100 miles. In full Highland gear playing bagpipes. After doing that for about 10 years, I said no more. I refused to play any Christmas carols on my bagpipes. By that time, I was off "street" band anyway, but still. Do enjoy some now days. But nothing like "Christmas with The Rat Pack" to brighten up my holiday smoking on the front porch.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Diddo, but you’re missing Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Ella Fitzgerald, Mel Torme, Andy Williams, etc... AND Nat King Cole owns Chestnut Roasting On And Open Fire, aka, The Christmas Song, which was actually written (co-written) by the Mel Torme in July 1945 during a blistering hot summer in an effort to "stay cool by thinking cool" ?

Reactions: tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Diddo, but you’re missing Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Ella Fitzgerald, Mel Torme, Andy Williams, etc... AND Nat King Cole owns Chestnut Roasting On And Open Fire, aka, The Christmas Song, which was actually written (co-written) by the Mel Torme in July 1945 during a blistering hot summer in an effort to "stay cool by thinking cool" ?
Nobody, not even Nat, sings that song like Johnny Mathis.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Nobody, not even Nat, sings that song like Johnny Mathis.
Please! Johnny Mathis is know for It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas, It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year, Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas, It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas, and It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year. As mentioned, Nat owns The Christmas Song... not even close, and that’s not just my opinion. Google it...

Reactions: haparnold

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Please! Johnny Mathis is know for It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas, It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year, Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas, It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas, and It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year. As mentioned, Nat owns The Christmas Song... not even close, and that’s not just my opinion. Google it...
Not for me. I have loved his version of that song since early childhood. Sure, Nat's version is more popular, but that doesn't mean better!

Status
Not open for further replies.