PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
My neighbor across the street lit up her bushes with Christmas lights about two weeks ago. That would be approximately November 1, with Christmas actual almost two months in the future. A radio station that wakes me up in the morning started playing carols at the same time. I had heard Christmas murmurings in late October but nothing actual behind it's my contention that Halloween and Thanksgiving are already disappearing under the weight of Christmas. Given that, why not eliminate all holidays and just celebrate Christmas all year?
Why is Christmas so aggressive? Money, of course. Sales sales sales. Now everyone needs money, but IMNHO having more money other than that needed to satisfy basic needs breeds misery. And Christmas services greed.
How is it that the highest holy day in the West has been so largely co-opted by those who have plenty but always want more? Only in archly capitalist greedy America.
Somebody has sold us a bill of goods. Who? We have, but we are also surrounded by the business context that loves for us to get drunk on Christmas myths as that drives sales. At no other timed do we draw so close to family as at Christmas, when if we are too distant to be home we feel the tractor beam pulling us there. We all want connection particularly with family, but a week after the holiday it is gone. So we talk ourselves into the Christmas spirit, but business eggs us on.
Between the two Christmas has vanished and has chewed up Thanksgiving and Halloween. Why not start with the carols in September? Who needs Labor Day?

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
Just make sure that you remember to say "Happy Holidays" and not "Merry Christmas" when on the campus of a public school. For those that haven't heard, Merry Christmas is now a culturally insensitive term.

It has gotten ridiculous indeed.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I feel carols should begin on the 24th and end by the 26th.
I don't mind the mindless consumption and greed many embrace, as I can sidestep it but we should not be subjected to the secondhand noise pollution of others! :crying:
Also, I refuse to give ANY business to any company that has their people working on Thanksgiving.
jay-roger.jpg

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I have 7 kids who have attended schools from Pennsylvania to Texas to Georgia and now New Hampshire and we have heard everything from Merry Christmas to Happy Kwanzaa to Happy Hanukkah to Happy Holidays and no one is pissed or unhappy or whatever. Where are you living that anyone gives a flying flip?
But back to Salted's OP... Damn straight. This co-opting Halloween and Thanksgiving for Christmas sucks to the nth degree.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
I have 7 kids who have attended schools from Pennsylvania to Texas to Georgia and now New Hampshire and we have heard everything from Merry Christmas to Happy Kwanzaa to Happy Hanukkah to Happy Holidays and no one is pissed or unhappy or whatever. Where are you living that anyone gives a flying flip?
California

tenfiver

Lurker
Nov 13, 2018
I always wonder that too. I constantly hear about how saying "Merry Christmas" is outlawed right alongside saying the pledge of allegiance. I'm still trying to find one of these schools, but I am routinely assured that it is commonplace.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
California
Funny. I live in California, and so far, I've yet to meet anyone who gives a crap.
Christmas was a minor Holiday until the early 19th century when British tradesmen discovered that there was money to be made selling Christmas cards. Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol put the holiday on the map. If it wasn't for the money to be made, Christmas would still be a minor Holiday.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

... but it would be awkward carrying my musket around everyday.
Awkward may be a strong word... maybe more normal.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I don't mind hearing Christmas carols in early December, or putting up my lights at the end of November. I can easily filter out the commercial aspects of Christmas and enjoy the rest in my home with my family. My Christmas tree comes down on January 6.
I think the proximity to American Thanksgiving makes the commercial parts of Christmas overshadow it for you guys. Black Friday is a relative new thing up here, which I don't understand. There is certainly 'that' part of the holiday, but I don't choose to focus on it.

geejay61

Lurker
Jul 25, 2018
Well I do agree. In the Netherlands we have SantaClaus (5-12) Until a few years ago evrybody was waiting til 5-12 and then it was all Christmas. But the shops are in a Christmas Mood in the late of september.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I always found it amusing that the early church picked its holidays around pagan festivities to prevent the "good" people from participating and marring their good reputations. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.