PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
I have a serious weakness for army mount Pete's and for a good sandblast. These look great, I may have an epic battle with PAD on the horizon here.

skydog

Jun 27, 2017
Well I lost this bout with PAD. Came in the mail today. I was looking at the billiard shapes but I just couldn't turn down the grain on this straight apple.
ohAy1N4.jpg

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
You don't have a Peterson YET?
Yeah... Not yet, but one will be mine! I really do like the look of this year's Christmas pipe.
I love that apple, skydog. The grain is very nice.
Paul, I own a couple of gurglers, I'm slowly getting to where I can identify when that's about to happen and, pipe depending, learn what to do to curb it. Part of the fun, I reckon.

jeffro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2017
I like the Army mount and the red stain. But, I feel that the copper on this pipe will only look nice and shiny like the photos for a short while. and will look like an old penny thereafter.

You would have use metal polish to keep it looking nice.

Alternatively, you could eat some vinegar/potato chips and then handle your pipe to get the copper to tarnish to a nice green patina. 8)

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
I try to pick up a couple of the Peterson Christmas pipes every year, and I really dig this year's (2018) offerings (even more than the 2015 caramel colored acrilycs).

The dark-red sandblast, black acrylic stem, and copper military banded mount just sings to me. There's no special markings on the band, and they feel like an 'everyday' pipe, instead of a holiday oriented 'occasional' pipe.

I've picked up a 106 [billiard] and a 999 [rhodesian]... The local shop has an XL02 sitting back with my name on it, that they'll be putting out on Black Friday.

The copper does quickly tarnish, but I just tried polishing them up using ketchup (hangs head in shame) and it did a decent job; and I didn't have to break out the Brasso. Bonus!

img_20181015_130510_835-600x337.jpg

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Really nice blast on that one, sky. For polishing I discovered that jeweler's cloth works great. Get it from Amazon. Unfortunately, the copper will probably vanish after too much polishing. But you say there's nothing engraved on the mount? Bummer. I wanted the year to remind me this was The Year of Hell.

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
There are a 'K&P' and typical three box stamping, but nothing else; no date.

'Peterson Christmas 2018' and the shape number are carved into the underside of the bowl.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Might as well show this photo of my 106, currently in reserve at SP; I choose it because of the nice sandblast (although not as prominent as sky's). Can't wait to get it beginning of November.

002-029-385451342-2.jpg

cohibajoe

Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
Are those bands solid copper?

From the above Peterson Link: "Did I say copper? A first in Peterson history, this. But to be more precise, Conor Palmer wrote me that “They are not full copper bands but rather nickel bands that are copper-plated – Some say that copper can heat up very quickly so we wanted to avoid anyone burning their fingers. More obviously though, it’s next to impossible for us to shape copper as it’s a much stronger / tougher than silver or nickel.”

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
More obviously though, it’s next to impossible for us to shape copper as it’s a much stronger / tougher than silver or nickel.”
HUH?? Harder to "shape" than silver, perhaps, but nickel? Nickel is much harder to "shape" whatever he meant by that. Now, if he said copper by itself is too soft, I'd agree. And the bit about conducting heat too much - not enough more than another metal to make a difference. I guess Mr. Palmer didn't consult his staff.

butsiethesungo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2016
Broussard, LA
Those are some beautiful pipes.
Do they have a p-lip?
Are they system pipes?
My friend and I are thinking very seriously about ordering a couple...

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I'm prejudiced, of course, but all of the above are great pipes, although I favor the 106 billiard, the quintessential classic pipe. It has a decent size chamber and clenches well either with a metal spigot stem or regular. Not a P-lip, I'm afraid, nor a system, but as a fishtail, this is my favorite Peterson.

butsiethesungo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2016
Broussard, LA
Sparrow,
Thank you for answering my question. I didnt think it had a p-lip or a system, but I wasnt sure. Had to ask the experts :worship:
They are beautiful, all in their own regards. Still trying to decide which shape to get. CohibaJoe mentioned a 20% sale at TP, but it must be over because I didnt see it :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.