PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldred

Might Stick Around
Dec 1, 2019
I searched but didn't see anything posted, forgive me if I missed it. I can't figure out my Chris Morgan Briar Cigar, I have tried different blends, and different packing techniques and it will just not smoke right for me. It goes out constantly and I do not get the flavor I should out of the tobacco when it is lit. Does anyone have tips on the Briar Cigar?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Try here.

Reactions: oldred

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't have a briar cigar. I've never understood how an ember is supposed to burn on the horizontal like that. I mean, it will burn, but I don't visualize how it would do so evenly sideways rather than upward through an open chamber. I'd be interested to hear from a successful briar cigar smoker how he or she makes it work, but I'd still be somewhat skeptical. I've only heard from people who tried it, thought it was interesting, but couldn't really make it work. With the heat going directly up onto the topside of the inner chamber, I would expect the briar to char more than the side of a regular pipe bowl.

oldred

Might Stick Around
Dec 1, 2019
I don't have a briar cigar. I've never understood how an ember is supposed to burn on the horizontal like that. I mean, it will burn, but I don't visualize how it would do so evenly sideways rather than upward through an open chamber. I'd be interested to hear from a successful briar cigar smoker how he or she makes it work, but I'd still be somewhat skeptical. I've only heard from people who tried it, thought it was interesting, but couldn't really make it work. With the heat going directly up onto the topside of the inner chamber, I would expect the briar to char more than the side of a regular pipe bowl.
If/when I figure it out I'll be sure to let you know!

Reactions: diamondback

oldred

Might Stick Around
Dec 1, 2019
Not big into Aromatics, I'm thinking I just haven't figured out how to pack it.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Ahh! See now I learned something.

I had no idea how to tackle a ‘briar cigar’. Especially @mso’s question. Glad you asked OP. Not that I’m in the market for one, but... learning something new is always a good thing :)

Reactions: oldred

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I love my pipes, and I do enjoy a good cigar on occasion, so I think I will leave the categories separate in my case, but I do admire anyone who can manage this hybrid.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Glad it wasn't a waste, I felt real stupid when embers came back so quick with the previous post!

Oh no big! No big at all. I think I can safely speak for Embers in that he was just giving you a quick source to read up on so you could begin to enjoy your new toy more quickly.

I dare say this same question will come up again, along with the usuals. I’m always happy to help, even if it’s the thousandth time a question comes up. :) Even then I’m apt to learn something new from rank beginners.

You’re an IT guy, IIRC? Same here (well 23 years in IT, now a new career) but how many times did you sit down to help the new guy, fresh from school, and ten minutes later you’ve both wound up learning something? “Gimme that keyboard sonny! ... Huh. Wait. Oh, I see, what has to be happening is... here let’s set up a test...” :)

oldred

Might Stick Around
Dec 1, 2019
Oh no big! No big at all. I think I can safely speak for Embers in that he was just giving you a quick source to read up on so you could begin to enjoy your new toy more quickly.

I dare say this same question will come up again, along with the usuals. I’m always happy to help, even if it’s the thousandth time a question comes up. :) Even then I’m apt to learn something new from rank beginners.

You’re an IT guy, IIRC? Same here (well 23 years in IT, now a new career) but how many times did you sit down to help the new guy, fresh from school, and ten minutes later you’ve both wound up learning something? “Gimme that keyboard sonny! ... Huh. Wait. Oh, I see, what has to be happening is... here let’s set up a test...” :)
Oh for sure, I still never liked being the new guy asking the same question 100 other n00bs asked before me. ESPECIALLY if the answer was already in the KB and my searching skills just failed me. Thanks for being so welcoming!

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
Really enjoying mine. Pack lightly, and enjoy, but the "bowl" does get a bit toasty at times. I've got the smooth model.

CW

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Glad it wasn't a waste, I felt real stupid when embers came back so quick with the previous post!
I was just there when it happened and remembered the thread.

I can safely speak for Embers in that he was just giving you a quick source to read up on so you could begin to enjoy your new toy more quickly.
Yup.?

Status
Not open for further replies.