PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jallen49

Might Stick Around
Aug 11, 2011
Hey guys... Has anyone had the experience of their pipe cake chipping?
Better yet, does anyone know what this mean... Is it a sing that I am doing something wrong? Is it even something to be worried about?
Thanks in advance

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
I'd give the pipe a good ream and start over, then after each smoke during the re-break in period, twist a paper towel into the chamber. YMMV.

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
Was there pre-carb in the bowl or was it natural? I've noticed that some pre-carb formulas have a harder time taking a carbon buildup and what cake does build will chip and flake off occasionally.

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
And to answer your question, it's nothing to worry about. A carbon lining isn't totally necessary. If you're smoking a crummy pipe made in the 1950s that's got two dozen putty fills then you might want some reinforcement. But otherwise, a cake buildup is not a requisite for a good smoking pipe.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Ted and Marmal4de bout have it covered.
I might add that the twisting Paper-towel thing really works very well. Since I have been performing that minor maintenance to the cake over the years I have had no more flaking cakes.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I'll jump in here and say that while a paper-towel works, twisting up a piece of copy-paper works even better. I used to use the paper-towel method, but noticed that no matter whether I was using budget or Cadillac paper-towels, little bits of fluff would be deposited around my bowl. With the copy-paper, not so much, and it sluffs off the gummy crap a little bit better IMHO.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Or you can maintain the inside of the bowl by dry reaming with a pipe cleaner bent in two.

Does the same thing as the paper towel, simply my preference.

I do this after each smoke and the cake in most of my pipes stays uniform and thin.
Are you doing anything wrong? Prolly not, it happens.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
A good tool to have is a Senior reamer. I use it to ream my pipes about once a year. It also has a detacible bit for clearing the air hole in the bowl. Could not live without mine.

jallen49

Might Stick Around
Aug 11, 2011
I have since committed the "sin" of reaming with a sharp pocket knife, and to be honest, it worked really well! Don't think I caused any damage to the pipe, only the thick cake.

However, I am seeing the need for a good reamer, so I think there is one in my near future!

Status
Not open for further replies.