Chimneys and tall bowls...What cuts/blends do you recommend?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I have acquired a nice 6+ inch billiard with an a very tall and deep bowl... inner diameter is somewhat tight... like .75 diameter...
What characteristics should I hope for in a tobacco to give me a terrific smoking experience?
I imagine I could smoke anything in it... I am just looking for a recommendation for what you think might compliment the build of this pipe best.
My instincts tell me I should break it in with some Uhles' crushed white burley (cube cut) or Esoterica Blackpool which is somewhat fine cut. It's typically easy for me to keep these tobaccos lit.
I remember hearing that English blends come more alive in larger diameter bowls like pots and bulldogs...

Mar 1, 2014
In recent conversation about lighters it dawned on me that narrow bowls might be a lot better for blends that don't burn very well in general, not just flakes. A narrow bowl means that with the movement of given volume of air (puff) you're moving more air over the tobacco per square area compared with a wider bowl. Even just going from .75" to 1" is 1.77 times the surface area, that's going to make a big difference in air movement and the amount of oxygen being fed to the embers.
Theoretically a narrow bowl should be a lot easier to keep lit, and the wide bowl should be easier to keep cool.

My favorite chimney blends are, Annie Cake, Red Cake, McCrannies Red Ribbon, Marble Cake, Telegraph Hill, and really any ribbon to shag cut. I also will fully rub out flakes, but if you like to fiddle with your smoke while in progress, fold and stuff might be your thing. But, really, the fun is exploring what you'd like to smoke in it for yourself. Have fun, relax, and take your time, lots of time.
I like to pack it a tad bit more loose than a regular bowl, and then tamp a couple of times while in progress. Just a gentle crushing of the ash is all that's needed. YMMV

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Cube cut tobaccos do seem to do well in taller bowls. I had a stacked poker once that I would smoke McClelland VA's in because they seemed to like that pipe a lot.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you are a burley smoker and enjoy single-leaf smokes like Semois, I find deep more narrow pipes perfect for those too. I have a deep Ferndown bent billiard, a MM freehand with a really deep bowl, and a Sav Hercules Oom-Paul that illustrate this nicely for me. I think they slow down the burn on this dry tobacco and bring up the flavor full. They work for similar leaf like C&D Big 'n Burley and Dark Burley, or Five Brothers, though be sure you know what you're doing with the high nicotine dose before going to a larger pipe like this.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I generally find tall narrow bowls ideal for fold and stuff. Depending on the pipe either an Mcc Virgina or a Pease Latakia blend.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I admit to not being a huge burley guy. Would it be inappropriate to smoke Ina Virgina pipe? Is it that good?

Status
Not open for further replies.