PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
I was watching Colombo last night, and he lived on chili. That's what made me think of chili. I used to have a good homemade chili recipe, but it was lost to time. Anyone with a good one. I go to the Malibu chili cook off every year. Where you can try dozens of different chili samples. It's great, but I want one of my own, so I though I might borrow one yours.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
This came up once before. Bob said he had a good recipe, but he got distracted by other business. I used the instructions on a package of Lawry's Chili Seasoning Mix.

Tweaks:
  1. Use a 50/50 mix of ground beef and ground pork

Sautee some coarsely chopped onion and celery

Use twice as many beans as directed, drained & rinsed

Use a large can of diced tomatoes, juice and all
I always ramp-up the heat with additional cayenne pepper; and I highly recommend the products from Arizona Gunslinger. Somehow, they create hot sauces that aren't too acidic or sour, and deliver the essential taste of their various peppers in a relatively pain-free way. YMMV

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
Ingredients

3 dried ancho peppers, stemmed and seeded

2 tablespoons dried oregano

2 tablespoons sweet paprika

2 tablespoons whole coriander

1 tablespoon cumin seed

1 tablespoon chili powder

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

2 onions, chopped

3 pounds beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

6 cloves garlic, chopped

1 canned chipotle chile, chopped

1/2 jalapeno pepper, chopped

2 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, hand crushed

1 cinnamon stick

1 teaspoon sugar

2 tablespoons masa harina

1/2 tablet Mexican chocolate (about 1 1/2 ounces)

Grated queso fresco, for garnish

Cilantro leaves, for garnish

Lime wedges, for garnish

Directions

In a small dry skillet over low heat add the ancho peppers, oregano, paprika, coriander, cumin, and chili powder. Cook until they begin to smell, about 2 minutes. Put the spices into a spice mill or food processor and grind until they are powdered. Set aside.
Heat a large heavy bottomed casserole over medium heat; add 3 tablespoons olive oil and the onions. Cook until the onions are soft and beginning to caramelize, about 10 minutes. Pat the beef dry and season it with salt and pepper. Add it to the pot and cook, stirring frequently, until it has browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons of the toasted spice mix, the garlic, chipotle, jalapeno, tomatoes, cinnamon stick, and sugar. Season with salt and stir well. Add some hot water until the meat is just covered with liquid. Return to the boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 1 1/2 hours. Remove the meat and shred it with a fork. Return it to the pot, stir in the masa harina and chocolate, and cook for another 10 minutes, uncovered, to thicken. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve with the queso fresco, cilantro, and lime for garnish.

jonesing

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
1 or 2 lbs ground Bison.
Several Anaheim peppers or whatever you find that looks good.
A couple or a few onions.
Several tomatoes.
Start your charcoal grill. If you're using propane save the trouble and just use your oven instead.
Make patties of the bison big enough to not fall through the grill.
Throw the peppers onions and tomatoes on the indirect heat side of the grill, and cook them until they start to blister. Throw the Bison patties on again over indirect heat.
Smoke a bowl of your favorite blend. Make it a fairly short one. Half hour or so.
When the veggies are charred and the bison pretty well cooked, Take all that stuff off the grill and crumble and chop to the right consistency.
Throw it all in a cast iron pot along with some grape tomatoes, a half a handful of brown sugar, a handful or 2 of frozen corn, enough tomato juice to make it soupy and seasonings of your choice. I just use the chill seasoning packets and some extra cumin.
Put the whole mess (pot uncovered)back on the grill and let it smoke and brew while you smoke and drink brew. You'll likely need to add some more charcoal to the direct side of the grill. Oh and leave the lid on the grill. Your going for low heat high smoke.
When it's close to eatable (an hour or so. really the monger the better) Make some corn bread. Just before you eat throw the sliced corn bread on the grill to toast.
Eat it.

thecigarsoldier

Might Stick Around
Feb 8, 2010
Wisconsin
Jonesing, you are a cook after my own heart, I measure by handful, pinches, consistency or whatever I feel seems appropriate. Sounds like some great dishes guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.