PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
I have been in Chicago the last few days. (I am in the airport on my way home), On some free time I was in an antique shop looking around and I saw on a shelf the bowl to a savinelli pipe bowl the price tag on it said $15. I thought it wasn't a great price but I would try to haggle them down a bit as I was walking around I saw in a glass display case another savinelli pipe bowl , It was in better shape then the first one, and marked at $25. I thought it was a great price , the glass case was locked , so I walked up front and asked the lady for assistance, she gave me a mean look, and said I have all these to wright up and wrap. I said no problem I can wait, so I walked around looking as I waited for the lady to help me and I saw a empty tin on Kentucky Club tin marked at $5 so grabbed that, and went back up front. The lady was not wrapping anything anymore, but I didn't want her do be rude to me again so I said I would just take this. she wrote it all up and I pulled out my card, ( I wasn't planing on going into this place, and didn't have any cash on me.) and the lady started getting mad at me because it was cash only, so I said well then forget it and just walked out empty handed. I was disappointed I didn't get the items, but was not going to go back into that place after the way I was treated.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
There must be a lot of Chicagoans that live with a chip on their shoulder, and don't care what you think. Fuck 'em. 8)

bulldogbriar89

Oct 3, 2014
Well it more of her losing a paying coustamer I personally don't care it's her loss of profit.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Some people hate their jobs and insist on making everyone else as miserable as they are. Maybe she just had a bad day. I always try to give people the benefit of the doubt. Not always easy to do.

adam12

May 16, 2011
Dude I know exactly how you feel, but look at the bright side, with the money you saved, you can go to Scandpipes and pick out a Vollmer & Nilsson or a Smio Satou! Nothing like living for the moment man!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I grew up around Chicago and spent a lot of time in the city while I was finishing high school and

commuting my first two years of college. I don't think this is typical of the city. It's a rough old city,

but most of the people, including merchants, are good folks. As anywhere else, you run into some

dragons. This old gal is her own worst enemy. She lost a good hour of her own wages running you

off, which was pretty honking stupid. I hope she has a happy time paying her rent, which ain't cheap

in the city.

bulldogbriar89

Oct 3, 2014
I would be really upset if I was the owner of the booth and I found out that some one wanted to buy something from it and the lady was acting that way.

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
I have a business partner whom I struggle with daily who exhibits this same behavior. He chases off customers, acts like he is doing them a favor to help them, throws fits within earshot of them, etc. It's a real issue because I can't afford to buy him out and I've tried for 4 years to fix his issues but he won't change even though he's destroying our business. Some people are just straight up assholes and will never change.

bulldogbriar89

Oct 3, 2014
I did walk in there wearing my 1950 Sinclair jacket on, and I think she knew I was going to try to haggle her down to what I knew a fair price would be. (I was planing on doing that). boil you might not be able to buy him out but what if you found some one you know and trust who could and would be willing to buy him out?

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
On behalf of Chicagoans everywhere, I apologize. We may love our "rough old city" as mso489 describes it, but as a whole we value honest work. You've got a job to do... get it done. She clearly wasn't doing this.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Have a Peddler's Mall near where I live, and am constantly getting antique razors and shaving scuttle mugs there (yet another expensive hobby of mine). Have always had good dealings with them. Just find another antique store where the clerks understand that you are paying their salary. :wink:

bulldogbriar89

Oct 3, 2014
picking barns, hunting down cool old things on e-bay and antiques shops is a hobby of mine but I sell and trade also it is a hobby of mine that can be expensive but can also be inexpensive depending on the item.

Status
Not open for further replies.