PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mateusbrown

Might Stick Around
Apr 24, 2022
Georgia, USA
Two weeks into the pipe foray, and so far I've tried three different aromatic tobaccos. I really didn't know what to expect from any of it, but it has been pleasant so far except the first time out, smoking too aggressively. I probably should have started with some others, but...

CAO Cherry Bomb: This smells fantastic upon opening the tin. This was the first thing I tried, and it did get hot, but I learned fast to slow it down. The room note is wonderful, and it is indeed sweet cherry smoky goodness. It is a very dark blend with Cavendish. It seems to change in its flavor toward the end, and it is relatively easy to keep lit. I do notice a kind of greasiness on my tongue afterwards. I pack it relatively loosely at about 3/4 of the bowl, and it lasts a good 25 minutes. I have smoked this one each weekday morning for the past two weeks between 5 AM and 5:25 AM while drinking coffee and waking up sitting at the kitchen table. There was some moisture build-up in the bottom afterwards. Smoked in Lorenzetti Titus #23.

Mac Baren Vanilla Roll Cake: I didn't like this one the first time I tried it, but the second time, I did. It has a spicy scent to it in the tin, sort of peppery, but not in a bad way. I did not get a strong vanilla scent. It has been a different smoking experience in comparison to the above. It was a little harder to keep lit, but definitely pleasant in its room note. I will try it again in a few days. Slight moisture build-up toward the end. Smoked in Savinelli Roma #614.

Lane TK-6: This is supposed to be a tart cherry, and I enjoyed this one, but I kept thinking tomato, which could not have been the intent, but there was something that made me think tomato. The second time seemed more fruity. This is also dark-leaved with Cavendish according to the description. Smoked in the aforementioned Lorenzetti Titus #23, which will now obviously be the designated as the cherry pipe. Moisture build-up also, which, from what I have researched, is my technique or the moisture level in the tobacco, or other things I don't know about.

I have been setting each out a few minutes before packing, but it might need to be longer to dry.

Milburniv

Lurker
Jun 21, 2022
I’m curious to know, and I realize it’s not exactly a communicable trait for everyone, how people who like or dislike cherry flavor fancy that flavored tobacco. I assume you like cherry. When I was a kid my mom would buy cherry pipe tobacco just to leave around the house because it smelled pleasant. I remember thinking it smelled good, but I am not a fan of cherry generally. I guess I’m just gonna have to buy a pouch of cherry (SuperValue of course, only the finest.) to test my theory.

Reactions: Cap and STP

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
From my experience, all three of these tobaccos definitely need more than just a few minutes of dry time. Cherrybomb needed a good half hour for me, and even so, it was still pretty damp from all the PG. VRC needed slightly less for me, perhaps 15-20 mins., and I rub out coins/flakes for pretty much everything except Peter Stokkebye LBF. As for TK-6, I don't really remember. I ended up trading away most of my cherry blends, save for Cult BRM. Just not a huge fan of 'em overall.

YMMV. But thorough drying, light packing, gentle tamping, and slow smoking are all crucial to an enjoyable smoke, no matter what the blend may be.

mateusbrown

Might Stick Around
Apr 24, 2022
Georgia, USA
I assume you like cherry.
Never thought about it, but, wow, yeah, I guess I do...I always buy fresh cherries in season, put frozen cherries in smoothies, used to drink a cherry Coke when I still drank soda, use cherry chapstick, love cherry cough drops, cherry pie, cherry cobbler, and whenever the lady gets a drink when we go out, I eat the maraschino cherry, so it makes sense why I like some cherry-flavored tobacco.

mateusbrown

Might Stick Around
Apr 24, 2022
Georgia, USA
If you enjoy cherry flavored tobacco, Cult tobacco has a variety called Blood Red Moon that is fantastic. Best cherry tobacco I've ever tried. No tongue coating afterward, and a very nice room note.
I have heard of that one and thought I would get some soon, but I have gotten onto an unflavored burley/perique blend (C&D Burley #3) and lately that is all I want to smoke!

Reactions: Cap

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
As mentioned, Cult Blood Red Moon is very good. I also like Gawith Hoggarth & Co American Cherry Vanilla, and Sutliff’s Black Cherry ?

Reactions: Cap

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
As mentioned, Cult Blood Red Moon is very good. I also like Gawith Hoggarth & Co American Cherry Vanilla, and Sutliff’s Black Cherry ?
@STP Gawith Hoggarth Cherry 🍒 Vanilla is my favourite pipe baccy. I had a memorable smoke of it in my clay pipes at the Lace Wars re-enactment in 2019. Going to see Lace Wars again next month. Will smoke a clay while I'm there!

Reactions: STP